Possibly unsuported soildier course

As I say I have already been given the go ahead by Fensa technical department and I haven't given an address to building control so I can still go ahead.

Obviously in an ideal world where money was no object we would put a lintel in. But with scaffolding, props, lintel and a day and a half's labor for a couple of builders this would most likely add £1000+ to the cost of the job.

And the main concern to the home owner is the appearance. It would be unlikely to get all the bricks out with no damage so getting matching bricks and getting the mortar color right would be difficult.

Sponsored Links
The boot lintels I referred to earlier did not show on the face. The boot finished about 40mm back from the face and the brickies cut the back of the soldiers to fit. Modern Catnic lintols show a thin metal edge to the front which can be pointed over.

Sponsored Links
I haven't given an address to building control

Thank goodness for that!

:LOL:

:LOL: Yea I know what they are like and the guy we used to have down this way was the worst of the worst when he wanted to be.
I have on a few occasions asked there advice on these sort of matters then checked the regs to confirm they are talking bull and gone with what Fensa allow me to do.

The detail that stuart45 listed is the most likely construction or a very similar version. (although the detail shows a 13" solid wall rather than a cavity wall)

The flat soldier arch being bonded to the concrete lintel is fully self supporting. The only time it becomes an issue is if the ties or reinforcement links become corroded.

Accordingly because the concrete lintel is cast up to the back of the flat soldier course you are unlikely to be able to insert any kind of angle or lintel behind the brickwork. The correct way to repair would be to install stainless steel pins through the mortar joints or face of bricks into the concrete lintel behind. Something that could be done by a competent DIYer with helifix ties and resin.

But if the original ties/reinforcement are still sound you do not have to do anything, the soldier course should not sag or rest on the window frame.

Building control never replied to my email so I assume they are not interested.
I did email Helifix about buying and using one of their kits but they said all they could do was give me contact details for their approved installers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back