Possibly unsupported Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a Victorian terraced house which I want to sell soon. I am trying to deal with all the problems in the house which might appear on the survey but have a limited budget. The chimney breast on one side of the house has been removed. I was in the loft eaves (there's a loft extension which has planning permission) and I noticed that the chimney seems to be supported by a couple of bits of wood. I'm assuming this probably isn't the best way of supporting it. Can anyone advise on how much it would cost to either support the chimney properly or get rid of it altogether and who I should get in to do it?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Depends on locations of chimney (ie if it forms part of the party wall with neighbours chimney) and height of remaining stack. You will also need planning permission to remove the chimney

Thanks Static. It does form part of a party wall - what difference would this make? The neighbour's house is about 4ft higher than mine, so the chimney looks (from peering up at it from garden) to be about 8ft tall, with 2/3 of it on their side and 1/3 on mine.

Thanks also for the tip on planning permission, I don't have time to get that.

If you intend to remove any part of a party wall chimney you should inform your neighbour.. If he then goes and removes some of his it can seriously effect the overall stability of the party wall.

If youve not the time then another option is to corble the remaining stack base or use gallows brackets. Maybe take some photos :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. Who would I ask to do this and how much would it cost (approx). Sorry, I'm really ignorant of anything DIY but having to learn quite quickly as it appears the house is falling down around my ears!

Any competent builder should be able to sort it, cost... mmm well your best off getting in 3-4 local builders to get a range of ideas and quotes.

Static said:
Depends on locations of chimney (ie if it forms part of the party wall with neighbours chimney) and height of remaining stack. You will also need planning permission to remove the chimney
Hi Static. Interesting about the planning permission. My housing association recently (1999) took down one of our chimneys due to its poor state of repair saying that as we now had central heating (storage UGH!) it was no longer needed. Should they have applied for pp to do this? :confused:

hairyjon,

Start a new thread if you want a length discussion :)
But the basic answer is yes.

Static said:
hairyjon,

Start a new thread if you want a length discussion :)
But the basic answer is yes.
Hi Static. Sorry for delay in reply been working away this week. Point taken, will start new thread on this shortly! Watch out! :( :( :(

Hi all. Just wanted to update you because if it hadn't ben for all your advice I'd never have got the result I did. I had a chat with the neighbours, their chimney breast has also been removed so we shared the cost of removing the chimney - LA were fine with it and it didn't cost as much as I thought it would. Am hugely relieved - thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back