Post Fixing for Raised Playhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking a building a raised playhouse this spring, so just exploring a few options/ideas/problems.

The main posts I envisage to be 100mm x 100mm, but wondering how these are best fixed in to the ground. I have only done fencing in the past where I have used bolt down post shoes or simply used post-fix concrete and secured the post in by about 12".

I could use the Cast In Post Shoe, where the shoe is cast in the concrete, or I could use the Bolt Down Post shoe and bolt the shoe down, or I could simply concrete the post in.

50644.jpg 72512.jpg

Which would be a better option?
Is there convention for this?

For the ground underneath and around the playhouse and veranda, I am likely to be having a concrete pad with rubber fall protection mats. (I would simply like substantial bark chippings, but the cats would play havoc with this!)

TIA.

Sponsored Links
C14D8BF7-F55D-4866-8B5D-C25077096BF2.jpeg Just cement in the posts.
Pallets can be a cheap source of materials .(free).

wooden posts concreted into the ground will of course rot.

The steel sockets set or bolted in concrete pads can lift the posts off the damp ground. There aren't much good for fences because they don't give good support against sustained lateral wind loads, but a cabin, carport or similar will mostly just be dead weight which they support well. If you use the bolt-down type (and stainless bolts) you can remove them when the structure is no longer needed.

just be aware that a structure with a platform higher than 300mm may need planning permission

Sponsored Links
Free standing on a paving slab with a piece of lead sheet between post and paving slab to seal the end grain. Works for a large house built in 1980 and the posts are still in perfect condition. But as mentioned for a light weight construction wind moving the structure may need to be considered.

upload_2019-2-24_8-33-48.jpeg

Concrete spur bedded in the concrete and bolted to the posts.

Blup

The posts will eventually rot, but all my grandkids outgrew their playhouse long before they rotted.

if it faces fully onto your garden with no windows directly facing the neighbours [not overlooking ] and no one complains no one will know and you may get away with it
just be aware planning is based on meeting criterior and not gteed so applying means you may be refused
best to suss out your neigbours do it to please them adapting as you go so they wont complain and no one will be any the wiser
you need a complaint for action to be taken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back