Supporting posts for a raised deck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a raised decking area about 2m off the ground to support a playhouse for my kids. The area of the decking is about 5sqm, supported by 8 posts.

I'd like some advice on the footings for the posts as I can't decide whether it's best to sink the posts directly onto a base of gravel/stone at the bottom of a posthole and fill around with concrete, or otherwise just use a concrete in post support to keep the actual post above ground. The first option seems more stable though perhaps the post would last longer in a post support and kept above ground.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Both of your conclusions are true, so take your pick. You'll need some lateral movement prevention (as provided by posts down into concrete).

I'm building a raised decking area about 2m off the ground to support a playhouse for my kids. The area of the decking is about 5sqm, supported by 8 posts.
Don't forget to checkout the planning permission.
In this local authority, decking over 300mm above ground requires planning permission. I would think that this applies to all areas.

Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back