postcrete v rapid cement n ballast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got about 25.posts to put in and have a jumbo of ballast left. Does it work out cheaper to use rapid setting cement mixed with my ballast or bags of postcrete?
Ill work it out if i know the ratio what is is 4:1 for this stuff?

Sponsored Links
If you use postcrete, it will be a lot easier to remove again in 20 years time, if thats a concern!!

if your not paying for labour then mixing yourself will be much cheaper.

Be very careful of rapid set cement it is incredibly rapid, so much so that it will be unworkable in probably 10 mins. If your ballast was dry you could mix it up dry to from your own postcrete and water it in the same way you would post crete.

Your best option might be to put it a bag of postcrete into each to hold the posts firm and then top them up with your homemade gear.

If your going to mix the lot yourself don't use rapid set cement unless you mix the batch for each post seperately and keep the mixer ruthlessly clean and wet to stop the remenants setting as you plumb posts aned prepare the next.

Sponsored Links
Cheers v much for the advice, good tip about mixing up my own and adding in same as postcrete, duh, didn't think of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back