Posthole depth slightly short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just after some advice please if I'm worrying about nothing or not, have got some 3 metre metal fence posts and started digging the holes for them, I can only get the first one 65cm deep as there seems to be concrete/stone at the bottom that I can't get past with posthole diggers (possibly foundations of neighbours retaining wall).

Can I get away with 65cm holes instead of 75cm or is this asking for trouble on 3 metre fence posts?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thinks it will be fine but nothing stopping you putting a thunder bolt or 2 in the concrete sticking out and when you concrete that will set around bolt. Belt and braces but you might feel happier

Hi Wayners, thank you that sounds good to me, I like belt and braces. Will get to Toolstation for an extra long bit.

You've got to think about the leverage, how high is the fence going to be, and what type of fence? How exposed to wind, any chance of kids climbing on it, is it a corner, will it have any bracing etc

Sponsored Links
Its a 6 foot double palisade (I think its called, the ones with the planks of wood at alternative positions either side so ypu can't see through it but the wind passes through) with a 1 foot gravel board so 7 foot total.

Its 4 panels at the bottom of the garden, houses behind it are set a couple of feet higher so its shielded from behind somewhat.

Does the 65cm sound doable?

Cheers

No kids apart from my own, no climbing tendencies as of yet

i assume you mean a 6" gravel board to keep it below the 2m/6ft7" to avoid the need for planning assuming its a side or rear fence (y)

i assume you mean a 6" gravel board to keep it below the 2m/6ft7" to avoid the need for planning assuming its a side or rear fence (y)

Well theres years of me thinking 2 metres = 7 foot exactly shattered. I've joined 2X 6 inch wooden gravel boards to make 1 foot ones, fairly easily rectified but I'll have a few left over now.

Thanks for stopping me falling foul of planning, out of interest whats the worst that happens if you did have a 7ft fence and a neighbour reported it? I can imagine the conversation now, whats five inches between friends fnar fnar fnar.

Hi Big-all, it was neglected for many years, remnants of 6 foot concrete fence posts, 1 foot concrete gravel boards, some cheapo fence panels covered in roof felt and lots of brambles and other junk dumped in a couple of foot of no mans land between the bottom of my and neighbours backig onto eachother. I've cleared all the garbage away and the neighbours houses are sat 2-f feet higher than mine and they all have fences so I figure they won't see anything as their 6ft fences +the higher ground will dwarf anything I put up.

One of them is a bit of a busybody/moaner though hence wondering if the worst case would be dropping one of the 6 inch gravel boards if they did call the council.

Cheers

does your design allow for 7ft easily dropped to 2m ??
if so start high and drop down if any problem ??

Thanks Big-all, sounds good to me. I've got fencemate duraposts so it should be fairly easy to take a gravel board out at the bottom if any problems, they are the wickes 5 for 20 quid ones so I'm not too fussed if theres a small risk that 4 of them get destroyed having to reduce the height.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back