Potential asbestos downpipe & guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Just looking for some help and advice.

I’ve recently moved into a property and I’m concerned about the down pipe & gutters.

The survey before purchase stated the gutters and down pipes were cast iron. However I’m not so sure. After googling and reading other posts on the forum I started to believe it’s asbestos cement.

I’ve tried sticking magnets to it.. which don’t stick. And clanging metal against it but it just makes a thudding sound. The down pipe is a light & hollow material.

I’ve had an asbestos removal company to take a look and was quoted £500 to remove the down pipe/18 meters of guttering and was told it’s definitely asbestos and I’d be wasting money on testing it… (£500 which I thought was too cheap considering google told me it would cost thousands).

Happy with the quote I then contacted a company to replace the guttering but was told different, when they arrived to quote me I was told it’s not asbestos but cast iron. He was very confident.

My head is battered just thinking about it. Does anyone have any knowledge with this? I’ve attached an image of the down pipe.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 44514D69-4276-44C2-AA9C-0881E3288DDB.jpeg
    44514D69-4276-44C2-AA9C-0881E3288DDB.jpeg
    624.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 3A96FB8D-3E7B-4F7D-83C8-235E2EDF433E.jpeg
    3A96FB8D-3E7B-4F7D-83C8-235E2EDF433E.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
Might well be aluminum not uncommon to find it mixed with cast iron.
While normally I would not suggest disturbing asbestos you could try scraping a small bit with a knife to see if it reveals shiny metal, maybe wipe a bit of wallpaper paste or similar gooey substance on the area first to contain any dust.
As a rule asbestos has a fairly thick wall and is quite heavy.
Aluminum does not rust it produces a white deposit instead.

Appreciate the reply. The Down pipe is really light , almost feels like a cardboard tube when knocked side to side.

Here is a photo of the gutters

Attachments

• F05BD412-424F-4590-8F9E-3F2DDFA013C9.jpeg
    F05BD412-424F-4590-8F9E-3F2DDFA013C9.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
Shaving foam and a drill bit through to test. You either get at it and find out what it is or pay someone to do it. Asbestos is stone like. Cast iron is metal and will sound like metal if you hit it. Iron will rust and you will definitely see some somewhere.
My neighbour had an asbestos garage roof removed in 2021 in 2 hours for £550.
I took my asbestos gutter to council disposal for free following guide online many years ago, and my local tip still takes small amounts. Also iron is heavy so i grunt a bit lifting a downpipe. I think its asbestos. No rust. Magnet don't stick. Bet if you smack it no dent so not aluminium

Last edited:
If on an estate, ask neighbours.
Imho it could be asbestos cement.
If you are happy to work at height you could do it yourself using common sense.

Why remove it?

Rules may have changed but my local dump took diy asbestos by appointment only.
I had to double bag it in heavy polythene and tape like body disposal in the Sopranos.

Do’t smash it up, just unbolt it and wrap it.
If it is aluminium, keep it. Asbestos is slightly fluffy on the surface which is why paint never sticks.
You may find that a gutter replacement company will be cheaper in the long run than DIY or just removal.

Testing is cheap

Thank you all for help and advice. I’ve braved going up on the ladder, scraped a small amount which is a metallic material.

I’ve also scraped the down pipe which was like a shiny tin under the coats.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back