Potential Balcony

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone

I'm in the process of sorting out a single storey extension (timber or sips), and new windows, and have the chance of potentially having one side of the roof as a balcony (not to scale!)-

In terms of the glazing, it's currently white, and I'm replacing with grey (along with facias and guttering), the left french doors is currently a window (1.8m x 1m)

I wondered what you think or can advise on the balcony? I was reading that it falls under PD if it's under 3m in height?

Sponsored Links
If that's a balcony, wouldn't the doors be down to that new roof level, so the pitched roof would be out of the question.

A Juliet balcony may be PD, but a proper balcony would not be.

Hi Woody, yep

The highest point of the roof will be 3.5m, if we went for the flat roof option, I think it will be 3.4m, which will sit flush to the bedroom flooring

I like your plan to include a balcony,its the sort of alteration I would do.

First phone your local planning department and tell them your plans,they could be helpful and give you some guidance or they could just say submit a full planning application.

Depending on the size of the balcony a Juliet balcony could be accepted but a balcony to provide outside amenity space ie table,chairs sun loungers etc will need council approval with reasons being safety and privacy to start with.

Sorry not a very positive reply but I wish you all the best
:)

Sponsored Links
Thanks James, I thought it was me going crazy thinking it is a good idea, I think we are around 2.8m to next door house external wall (detached)

You need to sort out that perspective of that 'shopped extension compared to the existing house. Otherwise you may find that things don't fit in.

And you need to clarify if you are actually talking about - a balcony (and what type) or a roof terrace. Planners hate roof terraces in suburban housing such as that, they don't like balconies either, and begrudge Juliet balconies.

Thanks Woody

Interesting thought, why don't they like those type of things? I'd like to have a roof terrace, so I can re-claim the garden from below, but am happy to resort to a juliet balcony, something like this

http://www.balconette.co.uk/images/glass-juliet-balcony.jpg

Around by me, it seems anything can get through the planners, a few doors down someone put in a plan for a single storey bungalow and it's now double storey with no issues from the planners :eek:

It's all to do with some of the planners favourite words "loss of amenity".

They think you will be up there peering out the door or perving on the neighbours from the terrace.

lol

They know me already!! I'll ask them about a full height satin glass screen on the neighbours side, stupid thing is, the neighbours look into our garden as they are on slightly higher ground

Why?

I don't understand why people make these balconies - because I have never seen anyone with one actually out on them.

Good question! For us, the sun is at the back of the house, our garden is a bit overlooked by a neighbour, the room it'll be in, will be a little office and we thought putting something like this in will brighten the room up as it's a little small

That's called a "Window", balconies do nothing to lighten up a room :)

AH! Someone puts the doors in without putting up the balcony? lol
I still recon that they don't get used much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back