Potential CH problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some advice as to whether I might have a problem with my central heating.

Boiler is an Ideal Logic Heat 15 and is running a 2 zone system (living room & rest of house) with Danfuss thermostats. Only 2 years old in a new build house.

Problem I seem to be having is when I turn the heat up in the living room the temp in the radiator is slow or not as hot as I would expect - seems to be fluctuating. I've bled the radiator and no air in the system and pressure is also fine.

It's as though the boiler is only answering the call for heat to a low temp. No fault signals on the boiler and when I turned the temp up to 27 to try and force it up it's as though it's running but not giving the heat to the radiator??

Hot water is working fine so no problems on that side.

Anyone got any clues as to what might be happening? The thermostat in the living room is battery operated but still got power showing...could low power in that be causing the problem?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
sounds like your system needs balancing. close all the other radiators and set the system HW to off, and only have the central heating on then see if the radiator heats up properly, if it does your system needs balancing

Cheers Ian - apologies but I'm a total newbie to this, what's involved with balancing the system? Is that something I can do myself?

yes if the radiator works correctly with everything else shut off then that is all you need to do, there are lots of posts on here explaining how to do it

Sponsored Links
Cheers - apologies for all the questions, but would that still be the way to check even though the living room radiator is in its own zone?

You have a zone with 1 radiator in it? Everything is working to your satisfaction in the other zone?

Things to check:

1. If you have a TRV on this radiator fully open it and take the head off - does that solve your problem? (You shouldn't have a TRV on 1 radiator anyway)
2. Make sure the lockshield valve is fully open on the radiator
3. Does the pipe to the radiator get hot?

If this doesn't solve your problem, possible causes are:

1. Radiator/system is sludged
2. Zone valve is knackered or not fully opening (also might be blocked with sludge)

Thanks pal - yes it's a one radiator zone for the living room alone and no TRV fitted to it. Would be surprised if it was sludged as the house and system is only two years old??

That said, it's worked perfect previously and been roasting so somethings not right.

The rest of the house seems fine although it's not been necessary to have on of late as its summer (allegedly)

The hot water inlet pipe feels warm but not hot despite the temp I've set the thermostat to (27)

Think we're on to a winner - both LSV's weren't fully open.

Opened both up fully and turned the thermostat to 25 - radiator now absolutely roasting!

Cheers and many thanks guys!

Don't you just hate those muppets who break into your house and instead of nicking the TV they fiddle with your radiator valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back