Potential Issue with Condensation

That would be correct assuming the void is ventilated. I still think this is overkill for a shed. You may be heating it, but unless you're living in it where will the moisture come from? Condensation is caused by moisture held in warm air condensing out when the air is cooled, as cold air can hold less moisture. Why are you heating it? Will you be working in it?
Yes. It's for doing woodwork and carpentry so I'll be spending a few hours in there virtually every day.

Sponsored Links
Yeah that would be fine, one time i bought some i think Screwfix and it was literally silver parcel tape, i took it straight back for a refund. So be careful it's actually foil.

Yeah that would be fine, one time i bought some i think Screwfix and it was literally silver parcel tape, i took it straight back for a refund. So be careful it's actually foil.
You're not wrong. I think the stuff you bought might have been the 'Diall' brand, and by all accounts, it's terrible.

Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
Mark,
Screwfix product is useless - avoid.

I find the Toolstation version good when I need the 75mm width.

But I find the Wickes version slightly cheaper (12%), but critically for me much easier to handle with its narrower width at 50mm

Both are similar material.
So my preference is Wickes version, but usually buy from toolstation because for me it is closer than Wickes.

SFK

Toolstation
75mm x 50m
at £7.97 = £0.16pm
www.toolstation.com/ybs-aluminium-foil-tape/p16309

Wickes
50mm x 45m
at £6.25 = £0.14pm
www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Self-Adhesive-Foil-Tape---50mm-x-45m/p/161265

Mark,
Screwfix product is useless - avoid.

I find the Toolstation version good when I need the 75mm width.

But I find the Wickes version slightly cheaper (12%), but critically for me much easier to handle with its narrower width at 50mm

Both are similar material.
So my preference is Wickes version, but usually buy from toolstation because for me it is closer than Wickes.

SFK

Toolstation
75mm x 50m
at £7.97 = £0.16pm
www.toolstation.com/ybs-aluminium-foil-tape/p16309

Wickes
50mm x 45m
at £6.25 = £0.14pm
www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Self-Adhesive-Foil-Tape---50mm-x-45m/p/161265
I'm in the exact same boat, I want Wickes, but Toolstation is much closer to me. I also prefer the 75mm width.

Thank you for the information.

I know I cover the joins between each insulation panel but do I also run the tape over the area where the panels touch the wooden joists?

r5zaeFb.png

Yes tape all the edges, ideally use the wide tape to cover the joist completely. Idea is to stop up any possible gap or crack. Also tape the insulation to the adjacent wall or insulation. And foam in any awkward gap first

Yes tape all the edges, ideally use the wide tape to cover the joist completely. Idea is to stop up any possible gap or crack. Also tape the insulation to the adjacent wall or insulation. And foam in any awkward gap first
Can you recommend a good foam filler? I have a few gaps here and there and don't want to just, tape over them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back