Potential obstacles relacing double glazing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can offer help/advice regarding replacing double glazing on the upper floor of the house
with obstacles below.

One is a window above the front door which has a canopy, well its more of an open porch than just a canopy
but I think its just the top section that is the issue. Although the width is probably not much of an issue to
span scaffolding across.

The bigger problem is a full width conservatory at the rear. Almost the full width of the house and just inches
from the fence on both sides. This is approximately 18ft and extends outwards approximately 7ft in a leanto
style sloping away from the house.

At some point the conservatory will need a new roof and this was going to be a higher priority, less than
ideal we could take the roof off and get the windows done at the same time.

Anyone know how a window company works around these types of obstacles?

Many Thanks
Eric.

Sponsored Links
As Freddie says , window fitters work from inside when upstairs these days, only issues will be if the existing windows are externally glazed

How do I tell if they are externally glazed? They are UPVC double glazed units from the late 90's.

Gaps on the hinge side lets the wind in, I can hear a whistle now as the wind is picking up. But that's only minor, the leaky
conservatory roof needs doing first.

I have a question about that but i think the garden or build section is a better place for that.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Post a picture up of the inside of one of the windows in question , close enough to we can see the edge of the glass and frame but far enough way to get asmuch in as possible. We should be able to tell you from that I'd it's internal or external

Look at the beadings, you'll see if it looks like they can be removed or not, so is that inside or outside?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back