Potential Side Access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

not sure if this is the right sub-forum but here goes.

The previous occupants of our house put up an extension (rear and side) to our semi. Unfortunately the footprint of the house now no longer has a side access to the back garden. Therefore we have a bit of dead land. It is at a funny angle at one point but at the other gives approx 3ft width - enough for a gate (as you can see from the photo below).

My question is - What, apart from speaking to my neighbour to see if it would be feasible if he would let me buy up some of his side access, would I need to do if he says "yes" to make it all legal etc.

I appreciate it is always a touchy subject regarding the buying or proposing to buy a part of a neighbours property so I'm thinking of offering him some cash, offer to re-fence the side, rebuild of his wall and gate to accommodate the new space and pay legal fees - lord knows what it will cost but going to budget about £3K. Is this realistic?
Any thoughts much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
how about knocking down that extension? that'd give you loads of room !

Only kidding.

have you talked to your neighbour? What's their feeling? If they're agreeable then you need a solicitor to draw up some new plans etc. Not cheap, but i don't believe there is a short cut ?

Cheers chaps for the alternatives :LOL:

Have spoke to the neighbour briefly about it early last year but couldn't commit to anything due to no money in place, he wasn't cool on the idea and didn't see a major problem with it. But was unsure as to what type of money would be reasonable and to whome you approach once a figure - if any hopefully is agreed :D to get to do the legal stuff - would it be a solicitor who would have the boundary redrawn or would that be a further cost going to someone else to do the plans??
Trying to get a heads up of the actual costs of the process outwith any payment to the neighbour directly.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
For your neighbour it would reduce the available land that they have & ause possible problems when they come to sell.

Can't you put a door in the other side of your extension?

You'll have to get quotes from a few solicitors, depends whats involved, I have no idea tbh. The price your neighbour puts on his land is anybodies guess.

I used to have a door the other side of the extension but had the kitchen overhauled about 5 years ago to give it a better arrangement - unfortunately the door had to be sacrificed. The neighbours space (from his house to the fence) which you cannot see from the pictures is nearly 12ft wide. I know he has no right to sell and will not argue with him as it is his land and we are on good speaking terms - though he does get fed up sometimes when I need to get things in or out of the back garden that physically wont go through my house and I have to lift the fence and use his back gate to get in and out - This solves a lot of problems for the both of us - but as has been quite rightly said - it may devalue his home - but not much considering his garden is nearly double the width of mine - him being on the corner of our cul-de-sac.

I'll approach him in the new year with a proposal - just wanted an idea as to who does what legally if my neighbour says yes ..... hopefully!!! :D

Why not talk to your neighbor about a shared access from his or her property, you could take out the first fence panel at the front of your extension and then half way down the side of the extension, where it widens out, make two gateways one for the neighbor and one for you, this would be a cheaper alternative and can be drawn up with a solicitor for a change in both of your deeds stating that this is now a shared access between the two properties, this way no one really losses any land and you gain an access!

bung em a few quid and everyones a winner!!

Why not talk to your neighbor about a shared access from his or her property, you could take out the first fence panel at the front of your extension and then half way down the side of the extension, where it widens out, make two gateways one for the neighbor and one for you, this would be a cheaper alternative and can be drawn up with a solicitor for a change in both of your deeds stating that this is now a shared access between the two properties, this way no one really losses any land and you gain an access!

bung em a few quid and everyones a winner!!

Thanks Woodster66 that sounds like an excellent idea -- I can't believe I didn't think of it before!!!! Will go at this angle - am away offshore at the moment so will see when I get home. Thanks very much :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back