Poterton Kingfisher Rs60 Pilot light poroblem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Kingfisher which was running fine before Christmas when it was turned off as we were going away for 3 weks. Now we are back trhe pilot won't light. I have replaced the thermocouple but that was not the problem. I called a plumber who removed the pilot light from the boiler and it lit perfectly outside. However as soon as he put the fitment back into the boiler it would not light. His diagnosis is a new Gas valve. To my simplistic logic that does not seem to make sense. Could anyone advise other areas to check before I splash out the 150 pounds he wants for a new gas valve

Sponsored Links
The plumber undid 4 Screws and then pulled away from the boiler a small rectangular plate with the thermocouple, ignitor and pilot light on it. When outside the boiler (but still connected) he was able to light the pilot and it stayed lit. However when he refitted this plate to the boiler the pilot would not light. He then gave his diagnosis of faulty gas valve. This is what I cannot understand as if the pilot stayed alight outside the boiler surely the gas valve is not faulty.
Could it be a draught inside the boiler blowing the pilot out OR something else??
I do not want to spend lots of money on the boiler as it is due for replacement with a combi in 3 months time.
Any help VERY gratefully received

Sponsored Links
If I were a pejorative git I would surmise that he's an incompetent, or a tosser trying to rip the arse out of the job when all it needs is a bit of a clean.

Unless the glass window is missing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back