Potterson Prima F not igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Over the past week or so I've noticed a problem with my bolier. The radiators have only been getting luke warm and the water hasn't been very hot. All in all it seems like the boiler isn't igniting, if the heating turns on it can be 10 - 15 minutes before the boiler sparks and ignites. Once running its fine, its just the initial startup.

Is the pilot light mean't to be running all the time on this model or does it turn off when not running?

It sounds like the fans are kicking in and then you hear a tick as if it should be sparking but theres no visible spark

The thermostat in the room is on full and the pump seems to be working ok. I assume this is an issue with the ignitor or supply?

Any suggestions appreciated, I'm a novice and don't know alot about boilers, before I call an engineer just wondered if theres anything I can try

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Get it serviced. Worse thing could be the PCB on the way out but thats a pretty good boiler and well worth keeping.

The pilot is electronic and only ignites when required to fire up main burner.

As for the problem, bar the gas valve sticking id imagine its the board. These are often the issue due to dry joints.

If you have a multimeter theres a few simple checks we can talk you through to determine how far the power is getting

Ok, thanks for the quick replie's.

Just wondering, should it not be sparking at the ignitor even if the gas flow valve is sticking \ faulty?

How much am I looking at for either a valve (fitted by engineer) or PCB?

Also - how much should I be paying for a service?

just don't want to get ripped off...

Sponsored Links
RRP for the board is £150 + vat now (it's gone up?)
+ fitting, which is within callout charge.

Service separately - whatever the callout charge is in your area. Not much to actually DO to these.

If the pilot light stays on when the boiler is off and when power is disconnected then the gas valve first stage is passing gas!

Fairly common fault apart from the PCB.

Gas valves are quite expensive!

Tony

Ok thanks.

I'll call someone out to see what they say, or would I be better getting someone out to service it and ask them to look at the fault while they are here? :rolleyes:

Why don't you call your regular service engineer out to have a look at it. ;)

I personally do not like customers who call me in for a service and then be told on arrival that there is a fault on the system as this sort of practice can totally muck up a busy work schedule. Hence I always ask during the initial call whether the are any problems so that I can allow extra time to check over the fault if necessary. A lot of folk are under the misguided impression that, if a fault has occured then a service will sort it - try that with your car!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back