Potterson Puma 80e Pressure Gauge and Boiler lock out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Can anyone give me some information on the problem below please?

My Puma 80e boiler is about 9 years old. Last week the low pressure light came on and locked out the system (no hot water or central heating). Called my emergency service and the Engineer said my pressure switch was broken. He unattached it from the system and ordered a new part.
I was then paranoid about the pressure given that there was no safety. Yesterday I checked the pressure dial showed the RED dial at 2 and the BLACK dial at 0.
Having read all the documentation I don't know what each dial means but a reading of 0 doesn't seem right. I switched off the boiler just in case.
Can you tell me what the Red and Black dials are on pressure gauge for Puma 80e?
Does the unhooking of the pressure switch affect these dials?
Is there anything I can do to fix this (that isn't very involved or complex)?

My 'emergency service' can't get anyone out to look at it until Wed and 5 days without heating or hot water is too much.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The red guage as you put it is prolly the moveable red needle type thingy, its there as a guide- can you move it?

The black one is the one to be aware of and is showing zero.

Depending on what he has disconnected could cause this perhaps. If not put some pressure in it, via the filling loop/mechanism.

Red line is a guide.
Black line is pressure.

You wont need a new water pressure switch. Drain boiler, remove switch, un-block hole on divertor (and switch if neccessary), and re-assemble.

Boiler pressure should be 1 bar with the system cold.

Thanks for the quick responses. So I was right to switch off the boiler.

Diverter value sounds too advanced for me so I'll need to wait and hope someone turns up on Wednesday (and hopefully not freeze in the meantime).

Sponsored Links
Hi, topped it up to approx 1.5 and boiler is working and pressure is staying between 1 and 3 - thanks.

The boiler was still working when the pressure was 0 so I'll keep an eye on it until the repairman comes.

Thanks for helping me.

Red line is a guide.
Black line is pressure.

You wont need a new water pressure switch. Drain boiler, remove switch, un-block hole on divertor (and switch if neccessary), and re-assemble.

Boiler pressure should be 1 bar with the system cold.

Since he has emergency cover I dont think he will be doing that.

As the engineer is replacing the switch then thats the best solution as long as he ensures the diverter valve hole is clear.

Whilst its probably blocked the switches do sometimes fail and replacement is always the best option if that does not involve the OP in additional cost.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back