Potterton 24 diaphragm or diverter valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

My hot water is quite intermittent at the moment. Sometimes the pin from the gland nut pushes the microswitch and the boiler fires and other times the pin pushes out but not quite far enough to engage the switch.

I am trying to work out if this is likely to be the diaphragm or the diverter valve.

Is there anyway I can tell?

The bath hot tap always works fine, the kitchen hot tap is intermittent and the basin hot tap upstairs hardly ever works.

I am hoping it's the diaphragm as I can do that myself but not the whole valve.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
diaphragm will do it no need to change entire valve ,

how old is your diaphragm,we all know a faulty diaphragm will have consequences :mrgreen:

Thanks.

Diaphragm is about 4 years old.

I've replaced the gland nut, o ring and washer before but hopefully can manage the diaphragm.

An engineer replaced it last time. He had issues with the tube that goes into the top. The thread or something.

Main water off, then run the hot tap until empty.

Is that enough when doing the diaphragm?

Sponsored Links
yep thats all you do . nut at top should not be a prob just start it with your fingers then nip up . When you have it apart give the pins a clean with wire wool , brillo
The only other thing it maybe is the venturi in the right hand brass block they fall apart but this usually only affects showers and not taps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back