potterton 24he. boiler wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help. I am wiring in a potterton promax 24he combi boiler. My gas installer has fitted a bypass and said the unit needs to be permanantly live with the pump connected for overrun.
The only external connections on the boiler are S/L, N, E and P/F. Where would the permanent live connection need to go?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's a combi? :confused:

The wiring for the heat only version is as you describe, but I would expect a combi have built in by-pass, controls and pre wired pump. Also I wouldn't expect it to have a switched live, but a permanent supply from an FCU

Based on that I'm assuming it isn't a combi, so, the following information applies to the heat only version. Please check your installation instructions to make sure that your boiler is the same.

S/L = Switched Live from the external controls
N = Neutral
E = Earth
P/F = Pump feed (live)

There is no permanent live.

If the external controls are still calling for heat, and you have radiators fitted with TRV's then the boiler contains a flow switch to control the pump. To use this feature connect the pump live to the P/F terminal.

The boiler itself does not need a by-pass, so the pump can be stopped at the end of the heating period.

thanks for this, on looking at the manual, it is heat only. Slightly confused as to why my installer would fit a bypass if not required. I rung potterton, but they were unwilling to divulge any details, but the tech guy mentioned something about connecting a permanant live on the capacitor on the pcb?
seems like i am looking into this too much. will wire up as you have suggested.

The boiler doesn't need a by-pass, but there's no problem fitting one if the radiators have TRV's. If there is a by-pass, you can connect the pump to the S/L terminal and not use the flow switch. As you seem to be lacking information, I've found you a manual click here See page 10 for the by-pass information.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back