Potterton Profile 40LE and Randall Danfoss FP715 Programmer

JEP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone please help. I have just had installed a new Potterton 40Le boiler. I have gravity fed hot water and pumped CH. I had a Randall 102 programmer connected at the time.
After installing the boiler the engineer reconnected the programmer but could not get Hot water only. When switched to Water and CH everything works fine, when switched to Water Only, the pump keeps running but the boiler does not fire up. The Profile boiler has a pump over run facility?
There is now obviously something wrong with the wiring from the 102 to the boiler.

I intend to replace the old 102 with a Danfoss FP715 programmer, could anyone supply me with a wiring diagram to connect the FP715 programmer, Pump and the standard honeywell room stat to the Potterton Profile 40LE boiler.

Hope the detail below explains the connections.
Boiler block is as follows:

Pump L N E
Mains SWL N L E

The Randall 102 has points 1,2,3,4,5,6

The MainsInput(L) is connected to (3) on the programmer.
The MainsInput(N) is connected to (5) on the programmer.

Points 3 and 6 are linked on the programmer.
Point 1 on the programmer is connected Mains(L) on ther boiler block.
Point 4 on the programmer is connected Mains(E) on ther boiler block.

ROOM STAT:
The room stat (L) is connected to (2) on the programmer.
The room stat (E) ) is connected to (4) on the programmer.
The room stat (N) ) is connected to (SWL) on the Boiler block.

PUMP:
The Pump(L) is connected to (Pump L) on the Boiler block.
The Pump(N) is connected to (Pump N) on the Boiler block.
The Pump(E) is connected to (Pump E) on the Boiler block.

The FP715 block is as follows;

N L 1 2 3 4

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

John.....

Sponsored Links
What you haven't mantioned is any motorised control valve(s). If just the boiler was changed and the controls aren't there, you won't be able to do what you want. What have you got?

Hi ChrisR, in answer to your question there are no motorised valves or cylinder stat, everything worked fine before the new boiler was installed, sods law!
Thanks... John...

Sorry I misread - you wouldn't be able to select CH only... Profiles do have pump overrun iirc but it may be possible to stop it. Will have to look at MI. If overrun is working then the boiler must be operating the pump rather than the other stat/timer- so the boiler won't come on without the pump.

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris, that all sounds logical, so can you tell what is wrong with the wiring on the 102. I have a schematic in (MS Word) of the current connections if this will help. I could email you it (if I knew your email address).
Thanks again...John.

The crucial info is on the boiler MI. Got it somewhere...

Hi Chris, just to let you know - I have had a word with Potterton technical and they say that the Profile is suitable to run gravity hot water without pump over run.
Thanks again....John.

Yes, the crucial bit is how to set the boiler for that mode... The boiler is current still, just, I think, so the info will be downloadable, if you have half an hour...
You've probably spent that long waiting for potty tech to answer?

Hi Chris, all the boiler settings for Gravity Hot water and pumped CH have been set correctly as per MI, I think it just needs the wiring from the 102, Pump and room stat to the boiler to be sorted. I have the MI at home but it was not very clear( to me anyway or the fitter ) how you wire these bits in.

Thanks again....John

Thanks again Chris, this wiring is driving me up the wall.
John.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back