potterton boiler flame failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with our potterton performa 28 boiler.
it works fine except in the following instances.
when the central heating is on, and if the hot water is turned on from the tap. the boiler switches off i.e. the flame failure light turns on. the only way to bring it back is to reset the boiler and the it then works again immediately.

throughout the day, if the heating is not being used and the hot water is turned on, this functions/works fine.
any ideas on what is causing the problem?
Is this a quick/cheap fix?
Ta.

Sponsored Links
Yeah cheap quick fix.......pay peanuts get monkeys..

has it been serviced recently. may be an idea to get high and low burner pressures checked?
can't think of an immediate fault that would throw up this symptom at all

Sponsored Links
serviced last year,
getting the levels checked..would this be part of a normal service?

Could be wonky diverter. Pcb is also known to be poor quality on these.

this was now looked at by an engineer. he has suggested that the pcb & thermistor needs replacing and has quoted £280 for the job.
just wanted a second opinion if this was a fair price for this job?
thanks.

We don't give price comparison advice for 2 reasons.
1. It is boring, this site is for technical help
2. No 2 jobs are the same due to accessibility, general condition of the system, travel, parking, and many other factors, hence it would be pointless without seeing the actual job.

thats a shame, but i understand your point. i have no parking restrictions, and they are local to me. as ive said before, the central heating & water works fine otherwise :)

Thats about £80 more than I would charge in our local area! But thats only if that really was the actual fault and those parts were really required.

Many of the faults like that on these boilers are as a result of wrong settings which would be sorted out within out standard diagnostic charge.

If you persist in expecting people to come out to you free of charge to "quote" for repairs then you should realise that nothing is free and the price quoted on that basis will be much higher to cover the wasted visits!

I dont do that and always charge for diagnosing the problem which is sorted out in about 50% of cases without parts and within our diagnostic fee.

Tony

That sort of money can get your boiler repaired and keep it repaired for a whole year......just in case something else fails...HEATEAM will repair and maintain gladly...

i signed up to npowers hometeam service. as part of the service, they offer an initial service & inspection. as part of the inspection they uncovered the fault i had on the boiler. so in order to commence the cover on the central heating/boiler, i need to get this fault fixed initially. then any further faults will be covered there on.

I have a problem with our potterton performa 28 boiler.

it works fine except in the following instances.
when the central heating is on, and if the hot water is turned on from the tap. the boiler switches off i.e. the flame failure light turns on. the only way to bring it back is to reset the boiler and the it then works again immediately.

Is this a quick/cheap fix?
Ta.

Surely you had noticed that fault yourself if it needed to be reset before the boiler would work again?

You should not have needed N-Power to tell you its a fault.

Now that you are telling us more about it could it have been an engineer who was offering to "fix" it for you as his private job?

If so then its not only against his employment conditions but he is not gas registered except when working for the employer.

Tony

i knew there was a fault, which is why i took out cover from npower, thinking they could fix whatever the problem was and from then on cover me via their hometeam service.
the engineer was sent by npower. im not sure what im missing, but i cant see me doing anything incorrectly.
i was trying to get an idea if the price quoted for the repair was a fair one.

Why you not listen ???????????????????????????????????????????????????? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back