Potterton boiler issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Potterton central heating boiler that has failed the landlord gas safety check.
I have been told the seal has failed leading to the chance of dangerous gasses affecting the property, and it has been suggested that the boiler is replaced (it's about 15 years old).
In no way do I wish to leave a faulty boiler to cause harm, but neither do I want to replace it unnecessarily.
Is this problem that would generally repairable or would it be normal to replace rather than repair?
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Without seeing the condition of the boiler it’s very hard to say in regards to a replacement . I suspect it’s the flue seal on the main heat exchanger that has gone . Pretty common for this to happen . It’s repairable . Pretty straight forward job . If this is the model I am thinking of of course

Thanks both, the boiler isn't where I live but I'll find make & model no and come back.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
It's a Potterton Profile 40e and has a failed seal "around the door and on the the boiler"
Many thanks

Not the boiler I was thinking of then . The door seal is an easy job . Not sure about what this other seal is though

The Profile 40e is designed as a negative pressure combustion chamber boiler...in some respects a far safer design than many of todays boilers.

A little seal leakage is acceptable at say the corners and the seal checks are purely visual.

I've yet to replace a door seal on thise models.

I suggest you get a second opinion especially given the fact the case seal appears to be widely available at low cost.

The Profile 40e is designed as a negative pressure combustion chamber boiler...in some respects a far safer design than many of todays boilers.

A little seal leakage is acceptable at say the corners and the seal checks are purely visual.

I've yet to replace a door seal on thise models.

I suggest you get a second opinion especially given the fact the case seal appears to be widely available at low cost.

I thought it was a positive pressure against the casing. But agree in that you get a 2nd opinion, easy fix if it’s the door seal and or grommets.

Yup positive pressure so I wouldn’t be saying that small “ leakage “ is acceptable o_O. But I would agree with second opinion. These boilers very rarely go wrong in my experience

The original Profile was a revamped Netaheat and was indeed positive pressure and the case seal is critical...but given the age surely this is the Profile Prima version with the negative pressure casing...

All the profile E’s I’ve seen have been positive pressure. That’s why the door seal is so important, if the seal has gone around the door The fan pushes products of combustion back into the room it’s located in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back