Potterton boiler sounds like an aircraft taking off...

R

ryoc

We have a Potterton Suprima 60L boiler & a Megaflow in the loft. About 8 years old. A plumbed in towel rail in the bathroom seems to work independently from the water/heating controls. Had a recent boiler service and PCB upgrade. Normally quiet during the day. When the weather is cold, the boiler fires up in the middle of the night, during normal 'down time', and roars like an aircraft taking off.. Blasts away for a while, stops for a few seconds, then fires up again. Waking the whole household. Any ideas? Thanks, Sleepless from Pinner. :(

Sponsored Links
its not easy to know the type of sound you're describing or its origins.

1st place i go to is the fan.

Thanks for the reply. The noise is a roaring sound that kicks in for a while, stops and starts up again.. Unacceptable and may result in a boiler replacement very soon..

How are you sure that the noise is coming from the boiler?

Tony

Sponsored Links
How are you sure that the noise is coming from the boiler?

Tony
Tony, surely you know that any unusual noise, smell or power failure is always the boiler. ;)

Last time I had a call for a smell I explained it was most unlikely to be the boiler he insisted and would pay so I sent an engineer who found the boiler was fine.

I had told him it could be the fridge and he later told me the compressor was found to be overheating. He could have saved £84 following my advice.

Another said his combi boiler gave smelly hot water in the bath but not the kitchen. again he insisted but I found it was the COLD in the bathroom because it was tank fed and there was a dead squirrel in it.

Tony

Good point. Supposition and conjecture on my part. There is only the boiler and the megaflow in the loft. I have to 'bleed' the megaflow every 2-3 months. There is a lot of water coming through the bleed valve as well as air. Maybe the fault is with the megaflow.. Could it make such a roaring noise on it's own? :confused:

I assume the system is sealed, as it's in the loft (I know they can be open!), after bleding do you have to top up the pressure?

I thought the noise was from the check valve but was from the bag in the EV and was reverberating around the system.

FYI - the system also only suffered the noise when no draw off had taken place for sometime. i.e overnight.

Good luck
Steve

Do a search for "noisy unvented" on here.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back