Potterton Combi 80 Central Heating Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have the same problem, where we have loads of hot water and the rads are luke warm for some of the day and night, we had a knackered pump so we replaced that (£80 later) IT has helped but has not resolved our problem

we cant work out why after a few hours in the evenings the rads actually get hot and stay hot all night but the rads arnt hot all the way down ???

we have bled the rads and the pressures fine and we do not have a water leak so we are also at our wits end as we dont want to get the gas guys round until we know the exact problem we have and the approx cost as like everybody else in the world moneys not exactly flowing here

we have been told it could be a diverter stuck on hot ???? how can you test to see if this is the prob

Sponsored Links
hi the best way to test diverter valve is to turn off boiler and let it cool down,once it is cool,turn on and run hot tap straight away.Whilst the hot water is running feel the 22mm pipe that is on your right as you look at the boiler.If this starts to get hot then your diverter is letting by peter

Could be a knackered diverter, could be sludge in the system, could be poorly balanced system

Yup, diverter not opening or closing properly, standard problem. (These are gettin on a bit now!)
( I'm KT3 )

Sponsored Links
1 of 2 problems,

divertor, actually the wax casule in the divertor
£125 with vat just for the part

or

the systems full of sludge, needs flush full day job 6-8 hours labour
£500ish if done right with chemicals.

to be honest this boiler is now at least 10 years old, and is on a reduced parts list, my advise would be to get a new one and don't waste your money, flushing is part of the installation

...the systems full of sludge, needs flush full day job 6-8 hours labour
£500ish if done right with chemicals.

to be honest this boiler is now at least 10 years old, and is on a reduced parts list, my advise would be to get a new one and don't waste your money, flushing is part of the installation

If there is sludge (probably) a chemical flush might well do the job.
And a powerflush is not included in a boilerswap, the quote will be significantly lower if the system is shown to be clean. ( or should be at least)

Thank you for all of your advice, we will test the diverter valve later today and then order one keep your fingers crossed it all works ok if not i will let you all know

Thanks again you are all great
xxx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back