potterton combi 80 help please (fan)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I got back after the christmas break to find my boiler was dead. i called round an engineer and he said the pump had gone on it, so they ordered a new one and fitted it on friday. a few hours after he left the boiler began to make really loud noises (whirring) and wouldnt shut up. I called the engineer out again on monday and was told this time that there was a problem with the fan. The only way to shut the noise up is to either run the hot water/turn the heating on or switch off at mains.
Having forked out £230 for sourcing,fitting the pump how much more will a new fan be?
is it dangerous to have it making this noise, as he said he would try and source a 2nd hand fan but this could take a couple of weeks and i would still like to have the heating on timer but the noise never shuts up if i do this, and he said to make it be quiet just turn it on when needed but then no heating in the morning... i'm scared of it causing any further damage/or it being dangerous!
Also out of curiosity how much would a new boiler be to source and fit (the man who came round 1st of all said i should consider this but no one else has mentioned this).
Thanks in advance for all of your help
:)

Sponsored Links
Also out of curiosity how much would a new boiler be to source and fit (the man who came round 1st of all said i should consider this but no one else has mentioned this).

Eh? You haven't mentioned anyone else in the thread. Who you torkin' about?

well there was the man who came to tell me the pump was broken, then they sent a 2nd man to fit the pump and yet another different engineer came round to tell me the fan was broken...

Sponsored Links
To be honest to have spent 230 quid already with a fan and fitting to come it isn't worth it in my opinion......

New cheap but ok boiler say a main would set you back 600 quid plus fitting approx (not counting sundries and flush etc etc)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back