Potterton Combi Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a Gas Safe engineer but all the work I'm about to describe has been carried out by one so don't jump down my throat!! Potterton Promax Combi 24HE Plus LPG boiler. DHW has been getting gradually cooler, CH working fine. Got an overheat (E130) error on HW. Changed the overheat sensor with no difference. On advice from Potterton, changed the plate heat exchanger - no difference other than the overheat is a bit slower to trigger. Again on advice from Potterton, changed the main pcb. Now the E130 fault comes on when boiler is turned on with no HW or CH demand and cannot be reset. On advice from Potterton fitted another new pcb as that one must be faulty. No difference so it wasn't the pcb. Refitted the original pcb and back to square one (but with slight improvement as described above.) Anybody got any ideas what my engineer should try next as clearly Potterton don't, other than suggesting that I sack him and employ them!!

Sponsored Links
Simple question was the plate heat exchanger scaled or did it have debris in?if so could be main hex partly blocked, remember hw will ramp up and overheat quickly, where on heating if will just run at what’s available but will take longer(possible)
When hw is on does the flow pipe get hot?? Is there any issues with cold passing on outlets on to hw side. You could disconnect hw pipe fit a flexi and test in a bucket?
Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. The plate heat exchanger was not scaled (we have incredibly soft water) and debris was minimal. We'll have a look at the other suggestions. The hot water never gets really hot. Even if the boiler says 60 it is around 45 degrees. On CH it does get much hotter and I believe the boiler reading of 80. I am reluctant to say it is a main heat exchanger problem because of this (and the cost!!) The pcb problem is a worry. We fitted two (Potterton) new ones and got the same fault. Potterton have checked the part number against the GC number of the boiler and say that it is the correct part. Put the old one back in now so watch out on eBay!!

Sponsored Links
Just re-read your post. I think that you are questioning the possibility of cross contamination between hot and cold. No, that isn't happening. We test the hot water in a sink which has a hot tap, not a mixer and is within two feet of the boiler.

TBF, Potterton/Baxi electronics are terrible. Another member here recently posted about Baxi coming out to change a 3rd PCB on a boiler in quick succession because of DOA parts. The second and third boards were fitted by Baxi (same company BTW).

If Bernie knew what he was talking about he wouldn't be so flippant. But then he does like to post on things he is not qualified or experienced enough to do so with any authority.

If Bernie knew what he was talking about he wouldn't be so flippant. But then he does like to post on things he is not qualified or experienced enough to do so with any authority

Any company that fits PCBs ( or any other electronic module ) that have DOA ( dead on arrival ? ) components should be taken to task. PCBs can and should be fully tested before being put into service. One does not need a boiler to test a PCB. A properly designed test rig ( without any gas connection ) will test every function and therefor every component on the PCB.

And they is the gas engineer's fault because?

By gas engineer do you mean the person who is hands on in the boiler ?

Is that person

(1) an Installer who does what he or she has been told to do in the way he or she has been told to do it.
(2) a technician trained in fault finding using the diagnostic flow diagram,
(3) an educated engineer who can use test equipment to accurately diagnose the fault before any parts are changed..

You've got me thinking. The pcb issue could still be the problem. What are the odds that two new pcbs, both Siemens and manufacturers parts, are both faulty? The money (£100ish) has been spent but if they are both faulty and I get Potterton to come and fix it and it is the pcb, I've got a feeling that there is no chance that the suppliers will reimburse me. Thoughts? By the way, Bernard, I don't believe that we can put any blame on a gas safe engineer who does exactly what Potterton technical help tell him to do. I don't think it is any way reasonable to expect him to test every new component. That is the responsibility of the manufacturer.

What are the odds that two new pcbs, both Siemens and manufacturers parts, are both faulty?

If they were direct from the manufacturers then the odds are very small that either of then would be faulty. If they were boards that had been faulty and then repaired by someone other than the manufacturer and put "back into the "engineers" stock of spares then the risk of them being faulty is high.

I don't think it is any way reasonable to expect him to test every new component.

Agree with that. He can trust that boards from the manufacturer are very unlikely to be faulty.

A PCB can be "faulty" if the version of software installed on the PCB is not the correct version for the boiler it is being fitted into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back