Potterton EP2002 Controller Problem?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved to a new house and the heating system is only a few years old (as old as the house) and the controller is a Potterton EP2002. When the heating is on it doesn't always bring the house up to the temperature of the thermostat. For example it just comes on for approx an hour until the rads are hot and then it stops, even if we are well below the minimum temperature on the thermostat.

If I turn the controller onto advance or continuous on the same applies.

Right now the house is frezzing and the rads are just tepid and no matter what I do I can't get it to fire. Any Ideas?!

Or do you think its the controller that is playing up?

Thanks....

Sponsored Links
THe EP2002 has had problems, there is a kit to change them. However are the motorised valves/valve opening, does the pump run on demand from the clock? What boiler do you have? ETC.

Gas2Air said:
THe EP2002 has had problems, there is a kit to change them. However are the motorised valves/valve opening, does the pump run on demand from the clock? What boiler do you have? ETC.
Thanks for the reply. The boiler is a Suprima 40. It makes no odds whether you are running through the clock or manually turning it on to continous.

It maybe the thermistor on the boiler, if the clock and room stat are demanding heat and the pump is running with the boiler off/idle for long periods i'd have that checked first, that and the infamous Suprima board.

Sponsored Links
Gas2Air said:
It maybe the thermistor on the boiler, if the clock and room stat are demanding heat and the pump is running with the boiler off/idle for long periods i'd have that checked first, that and the infamous Suprima board.
Being a newbie I wasn't aware that the Suprima board is now infamous! Why So? Is it notoriously dodgy or something??!?

Yes if it hasn't been modified, that or the gas valve :( do you reset the boiler often? It may well be a system fault if not at the boiler.

not that it's much of an improvement

except to Potterton's coffers, that is

After reading another thread on these boards I tried turning the boiler thermostat down from the maximum (where it was when I moved in) down to approx half way. Strangely enough it seems to be working a lot better. The boiler now seems to fire when the thermostat and clock are demanding heat.

Do you guys think this is a fluke and the problem will come back or it might have solved it??!

Thank you all for your replies by the way! And is there a way of telling if my system has had "the modification"?!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back