Potterton HE Plus error code E133

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a Potterton HE Plus boiler just coming up to 6 years old. It was installed in my new-build house. Recently started getting E133 error. A reset usually solves the problem and then it comes back after a week or maybe a few days. So i called a Gas Safe Heating Engineer to have a service done and also have a look at the boler, he came opened up the gas burner assembly, cleaned it with a wire brush as it had some carbon build-up. He then cleaned the combustion chamber where the burner goes into with the brush and washed it down. Wasnt really a rigorous clean just a light scrub around with the brush. He washed the combustion chamber down with some water. He said that the combustion chamber is corroded and he cleaned as much as he can and that it probably will start leaking in few years and then the boiler will have to be replaced as it cannot be fixed.

When he says start leaking he didnt properly exactly what will start leaking, is it gases will leak, heat will leak. Is it dangerous when it starts leaking or will it just stop working? Didn't really offer a solution.

He then put the burner assembly back on. But i questioned him about the seal and he said it was in good condition and didnt need changing. My concern is that he used the wire brush around the seal and the insulation board. From what i've read it seems seals should be changed no matter what. Can anyone kindly confirm if seals should have been changed?

I mean for a service, what he did was very basic. I am quite the DIY person, I have a lot of car mechanical experience and it just didnt seem to me like quite a service.

Any advice? I am contemplating whether I should open it up myself and change the seal? The only part of it that involves gas is the lower part of the Venturi whcih has the Gas inlet pipe. Not sure if this needs to be turned off? I didnt see him turn off the Gas.

Sponsored Links
Dont need to change seal if its ok, a service is pretty much what you described atleast he didnt just put an analyser in and dissapear, remember trained eyes can see what the untrained eyes cant. DONT attempt to relace the seal yourself

Cleaning the condensate and checking the pressure on the expansion vessel could have been done also. FGA after service would also be good practice. I would have skipped using the wire brush

Sponsored Links
I thought FGA was REQUIRED on a service, as far as the MI's go? Or am I wrong?

Pre-mixed burners yes FGA is required, but for atmosphere burners you don’t have to do FGA, you can still do burner pressure and gas rate.

Yeah, I did mean that - I thought that boiler is a pre mix?

'tis not the only confusing thing. Copied off his "my charges" page:
Save 20% on servicing and repairs, NO vat charges. I’m NOT vat registered!
later:
All quotations are inclusive of vat, which are charged at the prevailing rate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back