Potterton Kingfisher Boiler and Pump cycling together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas Potterton Kingfisher RS100 floor standing boiler feeding a Grundfoss pumped CH with thermo valves and a gravity fed cylinder. It is regularly Corgi serviced (last done about 6 weeks ago ).

This week (it got colder didn't it) I noticed that the Rads were cooler than usual. Turns out the boiler and pump are going on together for between 1-5 minutes, both turning off for about five minutes then both turning on again.

Called my regular Corgi man who suggested the controller. It's a Drayton Tempus 7 so popped to B&Q and got a replacement, fitted it yesterday but it made no difference. The CH demand light on the controller stays on but the pump and boiler cycle together. I have put the old controller back.

There is no room stat, just a Honeywell freezing stat. 2 Honeywell valves, one on the gravity water feed, one on the outflow to CH. The pump is on the return from CH. The CH outflow gets hot but the pump and boiler stop when the return gets warm, not hot. The Boiler stat is not near its temperature (judging by the click when I turn it) when the system stops.

Turning the controller CH off/on usually brings the system to life (for five minutes). It will cycle by itself and the rads do get warm, not hot. I can feel the pump whirring when I touch it whist it is on - same as it has always done, I checked that the spindle is not stuck. Also I can feel the return getting warmer whilst the system is running.

Talked to my Corgi man who is baffled and has put me onto a mate of his who is a wizz at electrics. Rang, but will have to wait till tomorrow to talk to him then make appointment for next week.

Found lots of helpful posts on here :) and moved the lever on the CH valve to manual open but the system still stopped and the lever moved back to central position by itself.

I there anything anyone can think of for me to try before I talk to the Corgi man tomorrow that might help him or me to make sense of the problem?

Many thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
Can anyone tell me if the controller signal goes into the boiler first or to the CH valve first?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back