Potterton Netaheat 16-22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This boiler is about 20 years old but has given good service until recently. Hot water is fine but radiators only come on for about an hour then go cold.Timer says CH is on but can only hear the fan running in the boiler and this will continue until CH times out or is turned off manually. If you then reset the CH to come on it will fire up and run, the rads get hot and then are cold again after about an hour.
Had someone in to fix it (recommended by a couple of people). He changed some three way valve and serviced the boiler, said nothing seemed to be worn. Still same problem. He came back and fitted a new fan, that did the trick but he wanted to come back and fit a new pressure switch, which he did. Now we are back to square one again. I am waiting for hime to come back again.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I get the idea that this fellow is a parts changer!

Odd though that eventually he fixed it for a short period.

As he is the only engineer in Vanuatu then you are stuck with him!

Tony

If it comes on when you reset it , i would wonder if the programmer is faulty?
Stating the obvious...the room thermostat is turned up ?

There isn't a boiler reset.
If the boiler fan comes on but not the flames, the boiler's faulty. Can think of half a dozen reasons though - you need an engineer with a meter who can follow a circuit diagram....

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Still waiting for CH engineer to come back, Monday am. Since the new pressure switch was fitted the problem seems to also be with the HW in addition to the original problem with the CH.

So far has not cost much money, about £300.00, including the service. The engineer assures me that the problem is fixable and I do not see any point in throwing away something that need not be replaced. Just wondering now whether it would be wiser to have a new boiler as I am getting a bit frustrated with the current situation.

When i said reset i meant to turn the programmer off then on again :)
If the fan comes on but nowt else does look like a pressure fault id say.
Although if its testing for pressure in the case ,wont it usually turn the fan off after its done its failed sequence?

Are case seals ok? Has flue corroded at top of boiler. This is a positive pressure boiler I think so pressure could be leaking out somewhere :?:

No they don't have a go then turn off if failed - not that sophisticated!
Also they don't "test" for a case seal, the orrible things work with the case off.

not cost much money, about £300.00
I woudln't agree that that wasn't much money, to make it not work!

Exactly which 16-22 is it? MkIIF? Electronic? Neither...?

It is the 16.22 MKII.

I suppose you are right, £300.00 to fix the boiler so it is not working is a bit naff. However, it was working before he fitted the new pressure switch. Wondering if the new switch could have been faulty or something. Anyway hopefully we will find out tomorow.

I hope he fitted the new modified aps as they are now slightly different to the original. He make have connected it up incorrectly as well!

Hope he knows about the restrictor in the APS tube, too...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back