Potterton Netaheat Electronic 16/22 - Nothing happening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please!

My Potterton Netaheat is not working. Electronic timer controller is switched, heating and water lights are both on but nothing is happening to the bolier, no noise at all - fan is not starting up.

I've tripped the thermo in the hall and can here it click, but still nothing happens to the boiler.

Where do I start to check? The 1 amp fuse behind the control panel? Is it safe to do this myself!

Do hope someone can help!

Sponsored Links
If you are confident about checking mains voltages and have the equipment check both sides of pcb fuse, you should check any other external controls 1st ie motorised valves.

But if that does not show any fault you will probably have to call a pro to identify the probem as this can be a dangerous boiler in the wrong hands.

Tony

Wow, thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated.

Just taken the controls cover off to access the 1 amp fuse. It looked ok. I don't have a spare tonight so can't be sure, will try and get one tomorrow.

I had a new pcb about 2 years ago and a new fan about 1 year ago so am guessing that both these shouldn't have anything to do with the problem (apologies if I'm being naive).?

How do I check the motorised valve, please

Any other thoughts before I call an engineer on Monday?

A real nuisance as ironically I had booked in for the bolier to be replaced in the first week of Jan with a new Worcester Bosch, so just to get us through Christmas without costing too much!

Sponsored Links
Thanks glasgowgas.

Do you mean the thermostat (in the hall) or the one on the boiler?

How do I check these? The one in the hall clicks when I turn up so I guess that's OK.

The boiler was working up to about 3 hours ago, if the stat had overheated, would it have cooled down by now?

the boiler overheatstat is not your roomstat, its not the boiler thermoststat

its a stat internal to the boiler, which is factory set to usually 95 deg c

its either Bi Metal strip or its got a button which will pop out and when boiler cool enough will either reset itself or the button has to be pushed in to reset

could be activated by either faulty stat or lack of circulation

Have You got/checked motorised valves?, if the pcb fuse is okay and you say that the fan has been renewed (don't remove cover to check fan)as this boiler is a positive pressure type and can kill.
The first part of the lighting squence is the fan and these are reliable, my guess is that it's nothing to do with your boiler.

Does the boiler electrical power input have a switched live in addition to the live and neutral power supply? The first thing to check is that the motorised sends a live 'call for heat' to the boiler once it has moved into the position for CH ( as a result of the thermostat causing the motorised valve to operate).

Thanks for the advice Cowley and for the warning, certainly will not take anything else off the boiler, was nervous enough taking the control cover off to check the fuse!

Makes sense to me what you are saying. If the fan is the very first thing that comes on following the thermostat trip, then perhaps I should check the motorised valve......sorry for my ignornace but how do I do that? Would that be in the airing cupboard next to the hot water tank?

Just watching the Lottery, hoping the numbers on my ticket come up!

Probably near where the pump is square box with either two pipes in which case you will have two or one with three pipes, also feel pump to see if it's running as this would also be controlled by m/v.

Oh my god, I love you guys!

I've just found the motorised valve in the airing cupboard. Did a quck search on the internet and subsequently moved the switch from auto to manual.....and the boiler started!!!

I'm so pleased, and so's my wife!

Only thing is I don't understand excatly what I've done. Do I just leave the switch on manual for a couple of weeks until the boiler is replaced? Will it work as normal on the timer in the kitchen by the boiler?

The swich felt a bit odd (some resistance when I moved it half way across) then it started to ease off, is that normal?

Sounds like it may have been stuck and by manually moving it you have freed it up, if it stays working until you have boiler replaced all well and good.

Take a look at Remeha Advanta boilers IMHO much better than WB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back