Potterton Netaheat Electronic - Air Pressure Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping someone can help me.

My Dad has a Potterton Netaheat Electronic 16-22 boiler which has developed the apparently common issue with the air pressure switch, meaning every know and then it fails to run and he has to take the tube off and blow down it to reset the switch.

More recently, it has started to get worse so he would like to replace the switch.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement switch and if the original Honeywell part is still available? I believe the part number is 642204.

Failing that, are there any alternative manufacturer parts that exist and are they the same electrical connection?

Sponsored Links
A replacement part is availible for this boiler but it must be replaced by a Qualified gas engineer as the APS is a Gas Safety component, whcih comes under the control of the Gas Safety & use regulations ;)

So you have any details for the replacement part, such as make, if it's a direct figment or slightly different wiring etc?

I appreciate what you are saying and as a diy'r (both me and dad, though it was him who both designed and fitted the entire heating system), I guess it sounds like its not something which we would be allowed to fit. Though I am not sure I understand why as access to the part does not require any removal of the cover (I know there are serious safety concerns with this boiler in doing this, though how would a plumber be sure to avoid these also?), and it doesn't come into any connection with the gas side of things!

Anyway, details of the replacement would be very useful, if only to check or ensure the correct part is fitted by someone competent.

So you have any details for the replacement part, such as make, if it's a direct figment or slightly different wiring etc?

I appreciate what you are saying and as a diy'r (both me and dad, though it was him who both designed and fitted the entire heating system), I guess it sounds like its not something which we would be allowed to fit. Though I am not sure I understand why as access to the part does not require any removal of the cover (I know there are serious safety concerns with this boiler in doing this, though how would a plumber be sure to avoid these also?), and it doesn't come into any connection with the gas side of things!

Anyway, details of the replacement would be very useful, if only to check or ensure the correct part is fitted by someone competent.

Not being funny but if you or your dad were competent to replace the part you would not be on here asking for details, as any competent person who could fit the part would know!

Sponsored Links
Cheers!

I am one if those people who like to be fore warned and forearmed with information so like to do my research before coming across any issues!

Seeing as the original Honeywell part is no longer available (or so I am told) I have done some checking and found that someone else, one here I think, found the new replacement is slightly different in its connections, hence my asking! The part is basic enough as there is not much too it, but would be nice to know for example of the electrical connections are the same or the inlet outlet pipe connections the same before fitting or buying it!

I don't see how that has anything to do with competence, but thanks for your help anyway!

The Air pressure switch is a Gas safety device and under GSUR; & must not be fitted by anyone who has not proved their competency (CEN1) immediately after fitting, testing to ensure correct and safe operation of the appliance must be carried out.;)

Fair enough I bow I your superior judgement on the fitting.

As I said though, would still be nice to know if there are any differences in fitment and wiring though, do any information would be greatly received.

Cheers!

I am one if those people who like to be fore warned and forearmed with information so like to do my research before coming across any issues!

Seeing as the original Honeywell part is no longer available (or so I am told) I have done some checking and found that someone else, one here I think, found the new replacement is slightly different in its connections, hence my asking! The part is basic enough as there is not much too it, but would be nice to know for example of the electrical connections are the same or the inlet outlet pipe connections the same before fitting or buying it!

I don't see how that has anything to do with competence, but thanks for your help anyway!

Lmao, you don't know how to do it 100% safely as your posts demonstrate your severe lack of competence, so you are not competent to do it are you ;)

If he was really intending to get an RGI to fit a new part then they would know what to do!

It seems that he wants to risk his family and neighbours by attempting a DIY repair to a safety critical component!

You know what, usually I find people on this site happy to be of help, shame the same can't be said here eh!

Slagging off someone's competence when you don't even know them, just for asking for clarification or information is childish and not helpful. Which makes me question why you bother to even post on this site unless it just to point out obvious but unhelpful points to note.

If you think by doing that you are lording it up over others then you must be sad people indeed.

Thanks for your posts, however unhelpful some of them have been.

kevd

people posting are being helpful there trying to tell you that by law this part should be changed by a gas safe engineer , theres more to it than not taking a case off or my dad designed the system on a fag box in the pub 30 years ago. these old boilers have a habit of leaking fumes into the house due to the design of a positive pressure case and very old asbestos rope seals. so its about checking the whole boiler and because your dad fitted the boiler theres a good chance its never been checked by a expert since fitted. take the advise of the engineers here and call a expert out :)

ps you can only fit a recommended manufactures part if that is not made anymore and you cant find it in some stores some place you cant fit any old aps.

Cheers. There is a replacement part for the original. Just I had read a few things saying it was not quite a drop in part. But of course, there is no such thing as a common aps that will do the job for any boiler.

I had read that it seems hard to get any certified engineers out for this boiler due to its risks and not all people are as good as their qualifications should suggest. I know of plenty of instances where so called gas safe engineers have left with leaks in systems etc. in fact one was on the bbc news today for bridging a flue and killing a woman through carbon monoxide poisoning.

After all, a service from some places seems to turn out to be an annual safety check of the flue output and nothing else! If a plumber did take the case off to service it properly, how should they then check the seal after refitting? Would be good to know so that when someone did come to do any work my fa could check to see it was carried out properly.

Maybe it's just my general untrusting nature of trades in general, especially when for most things I can do them myself. Though for gas I know an understand you need to be deemed competent by the necessary registrations etc. that's fine

Funnily enough though, I actually agree with general advice that my dad shouldn't fit this part himself and should get someone in to do it. Therefore what are the risks when changing the APS, which I can then use to convince I'm to get someone in to do it.

And that's apart from it being against the regs!

Plus, what should a proper engineer do after fitting to confirm all is well? Again, as I doubt my dad know nor had any specific equipment if required so that is another good reason to get someone in.

Lastly, what should he expect to pay to get this done?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back