Potterton Netaheat Profile 50E - Intermittent Ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Potterton Netaheat Profile 50E wall mounted boiler has recently started to click repeatedly (loud enough to put the wind up Her Indoors at least) as it tries to fire up. It has happened intermittently over the last couple of weeks and has once completely failed to ignite leaving the rads cold one evening whilst we were out of the house. Apart from this one occasion, it does seem to eventually ignite and run but as we can no longer rely on it I will need to do something about it fairly soon.

BTW, the pump and motorised 3-way valve upstairs seem to operate OK (I replaced the pump head unit last year) and the room thermostat was replaced earlier in the year.

Can anyone suggest which boiler component is the most likely suspect for causing this problem? Any input would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

A.

Sponsored Links
is the pilot light coming on and still clicking

If so then its the PCB

Al/Corgiman

Many thanks for your replies. Al, allegedly it was serviced a year ago by the previous occupier just before we moved in. I have strong suspicions that he was telling porkies as there are many signs of neglect and bodging throughout the house, added to which the place was built by Bovis who clearly maximised profits by screwing their sub-contractors.

Last night and this morning it seems to have got worse. The main burner will light up then run for 10 minutes or so before the flames die down and extinguish. The fan keeps running but the main burner and pilot remain extinguished. The igniter doesn't attempt to relight in this state. Rebooting it - ie switching the controller from Timed to Off then back to Timed - gets it lit up again. Do you reckon this is still the PCB causing the problem Corgiman?

I'm happy (maybe happy isn't quite the right word) to call in the pros on this one but it's good to understand what's going on inside the boiler. The user guide is completely useless and would be useful to find a circuit diagram for the boiler for future reference if anyone knows where to obtain one - Potterton in Warwick seemed quite a.r.s.e.y about supplying one.

Thanks.

A.

> when was it last serviced? - Al

>is the pilot light coming on and still clicking. If so then its the PCB - Corgiman

Sponsored Links
You say the flames die down? sounds like a drop in gas pressure but i really don't know enough to comment. When my potterton played up (red flashing LED - lockout mode) every now and then. It did indeed turn out to be the PCB, i reflowed the solder joints and it's been fine ever since. I think maybe your boiler could do with a good service?

nope a service will make no difference, please remeber that a boiler service really only ensures that it is working safely and does NOT prevent problems (component failure etc...)

Vey hard to get to the bottom of the problem obn this site mate as from what you say it could be loads

Best advise I can give is call potterton and ask for the number of an approved contractor and get them out

AL the pottterton Netaheat Does not havce the flashing lights you must have a suprima

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back