potterton performa 24 h/w problem

pil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have trawled through a lot of the problems for these boilers but dont seem to have seen one with the exact symptoms as mine.

As i say, its a 6 yo potterton performa 24 which worked ok till sunday when the hot water side started to play up, cutting in and out and barely getting past "warm". I checked the pressure on the gauge which is at 1.5 bar, water flow to the taps is good (flow at tap has always needed to be lowered to maintain a good heat) and also the central heating side works with no problems whatsoever. Regardless of whether the switch is at just "h/w" or "c/h AND h/w", the light comes on for around 10 seconds (boiler can be heard firing up) and back off for around the same time each time demand is made from the taps. The overheat trip does not operate at any time during any of this but, having tried the h/w several times, there are now noises from the boiler each time before it switches itself off again in exactly the same way. I have also checked the isolation valves at the base of the unit by the way.
Any ideas?? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
seems pretty conclusive then! Thanks, new one ordered......will let you know how it goes!

Cost around £40 dont throw old one away clean it out with white vinegar or x800 and keep it as a spare for next tie

Sponsored Links
:eek: does the flushing route work with any success then?
Im a mechanic by trade and very rarely does flushing a vehicles cooling system actually make any difference, thats why i was going to replace rather than repair! If it does often work i shall give that a go first. :p Best commercially available descaler then anyone?? :confused:

Citric acid ( DS3 ) or even 10% hydrochloric acid if you are careful.

This works very well if you know how to do it. But it is messy and a bit dangerous too!

The car desludgers are not acidic and I agree they dont work well. But with aluminium components its probably advisable not to use an acid on the engine.

Isolating a car heater and using an acid should be fine if the heater is still copper like they used to be! Perhaps they are plastic now?

Tony

Thanks for the idvice guys, shall attack it on saturday and will post the results after a nice hot bath!!

really must stop thinking too much! It states that it works at 60-80 degrees for 4 hours or so. with the exchanger remover, how would you go about doing this?? :confused:
As its a combi i cant do it in sit can i ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back