Potterton Performa 24 Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey All,

Im in need of some help, hopefully here will give me answers before the expensive call out for a plumber!!

I have Re-arranged some layouts from my existing Radiator and updated all radiators within the house, before i touched the system it was red hot within minutes of turning it on which was great!! However since changing the pipework around it makes a strange noise and only heats some raditaors, i dont fully understand if i have:
A) mixed the two pipes up on one of my radiators
B) Got the incorrect digital thermostat to replace the standard one

Now when i turn on my Boiler its on burner for around 10 seconds then makes a strange declining sound within the boiler itself, its heats three radiators but two others (where the pipes may have been mixed up remain cold) tried bleeding but nothing there.

Im no where near technical enough to understand so any help is much appreciated, is the strange noise because the pumps is struggling pushing water against the return flow where i mixed up the pipes?????

Please help, im freezing and winter coming in :)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hey All,

Im in need of some help, hopefully here will give me answers before the expensive call out for a plumber!!

Cheers

From what you have said I cannot even start to guess what you have done. However it seems likely that you should not have tampered with a working system for no good reason.

Now why do you think a plumber is "expensive" ?

Most plumbers charge about £65 for the first hour, less for subsequent hours.

Isn't that cheap compared with a solicitor at £300, an accountant at £95, a dentist at £250, a car repair at £85 etc The list goes on!

Or do you just think that a "plumber" is an ignorant so'd who left school at 16 and just does not deserve more than £6 an hour because he is thick?

Tony

Indeed Tony makes a fair point. I don't mess with my DB9 and ask AM to offer their opinion when i have repiped its V12 6 litre engine into an everyday V6.

Um, no where i can see in my post i make that assumption but i get the impression from your reply that this is not a forum where you can ask for help. Im sorry if i have offended you in any way as clearly you must have been labeled "an ignorant s** who left school at 16 and just does not deserve more than £6 an hour because he is thick" at some point , probably because of your quick actions to ASSUME information instead of ask?

I Just renovated a full house and i learn as i go on, im sure you have tampered with your car before not knowing what was wrong and might have learnt something in the process?

Anybody on the forum have any constructive suggestions?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Indeed Tony makes a fair point. I don't mess with my DB9 and ask AM to offer their opinion when i have repiped its V12 6 litre engine into an everyday V6.

Which is precisley why i came to a DIY website whose slogan is "Why not Do It Yourself?" and didnt goto British Gas ;)

Nobody has questioned my competence when I have repaired their boilers. I also post under my own name unlike most of the people on here who hide their real identities.

Dont you understand we are very clever at heating but we are not clairvoyant so we cannot even start to guess what you have done. I would ask Martha who is a sangoma but she has gone to sleep.

I think you need to call a competent plumber ( or better a heating engineer ) who will charge you at an appropriate rate for their skills.

Tony

Which is precisley why i came to a DIY website whose slogan is "Why not Do It Yourself?" and didnt goto British Gas ;)

Quite clearly you did not go to British Gas because you are mean and don't want to pay their £212 repair charge.

Have you not noticed this site is called DIYnot ?

I also note you cannot spell "precisley" and you don't seem to know that the letter "i" should be in capitals when it is used as the subject in a sentence.

Perhaps plumbers are not that badly educated after all?

Tony

The very simple answer is at some point you will have mixed up the flows and returns and teed in wrong and have either two flows or two returns going to part of the circuit or with house being renovated you have pushed pipe through a pile of carp and blocked it up.
Undo valves at either side of rads if you have a strong flpw out of either side then you will more than likerly have teed in wrong .

Im sure in most peoples world education goes further than spelling "Tony" :D

How also could you be sure im "masking my identity" maybe the first two letters are Initals and then followed by a surname :idea:

Clearly people who are not willing to help others on this forum shouldnt really post, im not interested in massaging your ego's / arguing with your views on life , just here to find a few solutions guys / girls.

Thanks namsag for your solution , seems some engineers are more clued up than others. I can confirm its not crap in the pipe i must have messed the T's up as you suggested. I will chase the pipes and report back,

Help much appreciated,

Cheers

Jesus give the guy a break. he came on asking for help.

If you're not clairvoyant (an art that only some of us have developed :LOL: ) then simply ask for more details if you want to help. If you can't be bothered then don't reply. If you think the job is beyond the poster politely suggest that he calls a plumber - why the need for point scoring.

I'll duck now.

Love and peace all

(NB - name and address withheld to protect the innocent)

Hey All,

I have Re-arranged some layouts from my existing Radiator and updated all radiators within the house, before i touched the system it was red hot within minutes of turning it on which was great!! However since changing the pipework around it makes a strange noise and only heats some raditaors, i dont fully understand if i have:

A) mixed the two pipes up on one of my radiators
B) Got the incorrect digital thermostat to replace the standard one

Cheers

As Namsag has said and as you yourself have also concluded, you have obviously mixed up the pipes, filled one with dirt or ( and this ones new ) directly connected the flow and return together.

We have no access to your pipework, but you do!

As you already know, radiators are connected in a parallel arrangement across a pair of pipes one being called the flow and the other the return.

The flow is the hotter one and the return the cooler.

Only you can trace your new pipework and see what you have done wrong!

Tony

If you're not clairvoyant (an art that only some of us have developed :LOL: ) then simply ask for more details if you want to help. If you can't be bothered then don't reply. If you think the job is beyond the poster politely suggest that he calls a plumber - why the need for point scoring.

I'll duck now.

Love and peace all

Bang on who is The Best :rolleyes: Guess where i live :LOL:

I'll duck now.

Love and peace all

As above really, no need for the harsh time through asking a simple question just an appropriate response as you made above would have been sufficent. But i suppose you dont accumilate 16638 posts without being over opinionated.

Anyways..... Would this be the reason why the boiler makes the declining sound and only stays on the burner for around 10 seconds??

I will duck also awaiting more backlash for another question ;)

I am not sure what a declining sound would be like but if the boiler is either reaching the correct flow temperature or there is insufficient flow causing the same effect then the amswer might be yes.

Your solution is to trace the modified pipework and see where its gone wrong.

Tony

Now there is a nice straight forward answer agile WHY didyou not initially suggest this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back