Potterton Performa 24 leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton Performa 24 leaking from diverter valve assembly, on closer inspection the leak is coming from an empty grub screw hole. As far as I'm aware no screws have fallen out so maybe it the way its designed. :eek:

Would it need a whole new assembly or is it serviceable inside?

I'm not sure whether to get a local heating engineer or try a fixed price repair from british gas etc... any guesstamates for repair cost and advice much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
A repair kit is available but rather fiddly to fit and takes some time.

Commercially I would replace the whole valve as the cost to the customer would be about the same whereas if I repaired it it would still be an old valve.

You will probably get it repaired far cheaper by a local independent and probably get it replaced somewhat cheaper than a BG fixed price repair.

Some of the BG guys will perhaps tell us what their fixed price would be and if they repair or replace it. Replace I would expect which should take less than an hour.

Tony

If it's leaking from the seal between the diverter and diaphragm housing, and it sounds like it is, then there is no need to replace the whole valve. :confused:

BG pricing is tiered, the prices will be quoted to you over the phone. You will likely be in the middle tier which is £189 ish depending on your postcode.

Sponsored Links
It could either be leaking from the mains water side which is quite easy to repair and I would do that for little more than our diagnostic fee.

Or it could also be leaking from the heating side of the valve and that needs the internal parts cleaning and the gland part replaced. As this is caused by dirty system water ideally considerable cleaning of the system should be done in that case.

If the system pressure does not fall then its the simple repair, if it does fall then the more complicated repair and clean.

Tony

Ive never replaced the whole diverter. What goes wrong with the expensive brass body?.....Nothing. Never had a problem fitting kits and can be done in 45 mins. Always successful, and its not only dirty systems that cause these valves to malfunction.

It could either be leaking from the mains water side which is quite easy to repair and I would do that for little more than our diagnostic fee.

Or it could also be leaking from the heating side of the valve and that needs the internal parts cleaning and the gland part replaced. As this is caused by dirty system water ideally considerable cleaning of the system should be done in that case.

If the system pressure does not fall then its the simple repair, if it does fall then the more complicated repair and clean.

Tony

Hi there,
I fixed the front leak (from the front screw) but after putting it all back together, I saw that it was leaking from the grub screws.
You mentioned this is easy to fix, I would appreciate your thoughts on how it can be done.
Thank you very much and Kind regards,
Happy holidays all :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back