Potterton Performa24 CH goes on/off repeatedly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Potterton Performa 24: DHW is fine. When CH is switched on, it works normally until all the radiators are hot, then it goes on and off repeatedly every 10 - 20 seconds. Any help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Pcb setting wrong.
Many thanks for your reply, bengasman. Do you mean CH water temperature control? Regardless of the setting, the boiler still repeats on/off cycle. If you mean something else, I would be grateful if you could clarify.

Most boilers have a way to reduce what is known as "cycling", the continuous repeat of on/off at short intervals.
If this is wrong on your boiler, it means that either something has failed, or the installer did not bother to set the boiler up correctly. In either case, I recommend you get a good chap to give the whole system a check up to increase performance, reliability and longevity.

Sponsored Links
As it has been working ok since it was installed a few years ago, I thought the problem might be caused by something simple. Many thanks for your advice.

Don't be too sure that it used to be ok. You may not have noticed it, not an uncommon thing to happen.

As it has been working ok since it was installed a few years ago, I thought the problem might be caused by something simple. Many thanks for your advice.

People always "hope" that its something simple because they equate that with something cheap.

I have a very good idea of what might be wrong with the boiler but as its a gas matter I cannot give advice on an open forum. You need to get a competent registered gas engineer.

If only you have bothered to get the boiler properly serviced then that would have taken care of this problem.

Boiler settings drift over a period of time and thats one of the functions of a service to reset all the parameters to the original manufacturer's settings.

Tony

Hi,

I am interested to know if and how you resolved this problem? I am experiencing a similar problem with my Potterton Performa 24 i.e. boiler igniting on and off in a loop every 10 seconds or so when central heating on. A British Gas engineer recently fitted a new thermistor so has ruled that out. He said that it's probably due to sludge in the radiators and I will have to pay £700 for a Power Flush of my central heating system. I am a little bit dubious of this advice as the radiators are all very hot with no cold spots.

Martin

As I said three years ago I expected the problem to be gas related which we dont advise on in the open forum!

I have not changed my view!

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I wasn't looking for gas advice as I have a British Gas Homecare package for the maintenance of my boiler. I guess my query was more whether I should accept the BG engineer's advice that I need a Power Flush to resolve this problem. I might ask BG to send a different engineer for a second opinion.

Martin

I would not expect it to be sludge related although your system might need cleaning.

Its a standard BG ruse to say power flush when they dont know whats wrong.

It sounds a simple fault to me!

Tony

OP, does the boiler do that when heating and hot water are run together? Can you run central heating by itself or does the hot water also activate at the same time when you do that. When you run ch, do you get any heat at a radiator inlet? Do you have a motorised valve on the heating zone and is this opening? If there is one fitted (and installed correctly) , there should be some 20 second delay before the pump and boiler power up

This is a combi so the hot water takes precedence over heating demand.

These unusual situations are often PCB faults.

Tony

may be worth changing the thermistor as my pott 24 had simalar problems...

cheap and easy thing to change...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back