Potterton Pro Max HE issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would really appreciate some assistance.
Intermittent fault where my boiler is not firing up every time with call to heat from CH or HW. Boiler has been serviced, the igniter cleaned, the CH and HW actuator heads and valves have been replaced, still not fixed the problem.
I would say the problem is becoming more frequent, however most times flicking the re set switch on the boiler front panel fires up the boiler, only very occasionally do I have to re set a second time.
Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
The ignition electrodes on these were upgraded, did your engineer just clean the original, or install the newer design, the newer ones are far more reliable but you can not install these yourself, you need a gas safe engineer to do this.

the ignition leads start to stain black and weaken on these a sure sign on these when your next engineer looks is slight black staining on combustion door cover on the inside where leads are located.

The ignition electrodes on these were upgraded, did your engineer just clean the original, or install the newer design, the newer ones are far more reliable but you can not install these yourself, you need a gas safe engineer to do this.

Thanks for the reply,
He just cleaned the old ones, so that would look like a probable cause.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
the ignition leads start to stain black and weaken on these a sure sign on these when your next engineer looks is slight black staining on combustion door cover on the inside where leads are located.

Really appreciate the reply, two of you mentioning the electrodes so I will arrange for them to be changed, Can either of you provide a part number ?
Cheers

Really appreciate the reply, two of you mentioning the electrodes so I will arrange for them to be changed, Can either of you provide a part number ?
Cheers

Sorry just thought there are probably a few variants of this model.

Cheers
the engineer would sort that ;) and its not necessary the electrodes anyway so buying them now would be a waste of time ;)

An experienced engineer will know by looking at them if they are the upgrade or the origionals, we are very limited what we can post on this forum, not saying you would go out and buy them yourself and attempt to fit but someone reading the post might do and it is not a diy job

Did the technician service the boiler knowing of the fault?

Did the technician service the boiler knowing of the fault?

Yes, and he failed to mention the fact the combustion chamber seal was barely intact, this is an accredited engineer, maybe he was just having an off day.

Accredited engineer? You mean he has a degree?

How do you know that the combustion chamber seal was barely intact unless you removed it and inspected it after he left ?

How do you know that the combustion chamber seal was barely intact unless you removed it and inspected it after he left ?

Thing is Ian about a week after he completed the service I was looking through a few forums and came across a thread about the seals on the Combustion door had a light bulb moment and thought that may be the problem. Got to be honest observed the service and replaced the seal it was not difficult the twist screws didn't hold the 'door' to the combustion chamber firmly in place as the' retaining tabs' were bent so I fixed those and the 'door' was then held firmly in place. The engineer was an old school friend of my wife, won't ever be asking him back but I will get some one else 'Gas Safe' around to do a diagnostics check and talk about the ignition electrodes.
Thanks for all the advice.

what boiler is it ? promax HE — A or promax SL ?

flip the front down and read the label

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back