Potterton pro max

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my son is having problems with his Potterton pro max He 24 not firing up. A gas fitter visited but the boiler decided to work ok ( sods law ) charged £45 and suggested it may be a faulty gas valve.
Needless to say the boiler has now stopped working but we now think the ignition module may not be sparking.
my question is.. is it possible to see the sparks and if so would they still spark even if the gas valve was faulty.
I`m going to ask a corgi fitter I know well to visit ( but not today,Sunday ) but just wanted to be able to tell him in advance if the boiler was indeed producing a spark. Thanks, John

Sponsored Links
Firstly you should not tell an engineer whats wrong with the boiler.

Regardless of what the ACTUAL fault is in the case of your boiler, the ignition can spark and the gas valve can have failed or the gas valve may be OK but have no ignition.

Both simple checks an engineer can do. You should NOT be doing anything gas or combustion related.

Is it Dave or John who you know?

Tony

Hi, thanks for that, we dont intend to meddle with anything, its just that my son has a gas valve on order that we probably dont need and we still have time to cancel if its likely to be ignition related. Is it possible to see the spark without dismantling anything safety related. thanks, John

No, it is not possible to see whether the electrodes are sparking on your boiler, without removing bits that will break gas/fumes seals.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Twgas, will report back when Paul the corgi man has checked it out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back