Potterton Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have bought a new house with an old boiler. The problem is i cant get hot water without putting the heating on even if i select hot water only on the programmer.
The boiler is a potterton profile 40e
The programmer is a horstmann c27
It has a honeywell y plan 3 pos diverter valve

How its wired
Boiler to programmer

Live to Live
Neutral to Neutral
Earth to Earth
live S/W x 2 to terminal 3

junction box (if you can call it that they have used a conn block with tape.)

programer terminal 3 to live on pump
programer terminal 4 to orange wire on valve
all neutrals connected on valve and pump via programmer neutral
and thats it. no sign of the cylinder thermostat wiring.

The system seems to be a open vented fully pumped I think . I will need to rip up the floor to check for more valves.

Hope someone can help.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A three port valve like yours rests in the HW position. The programmer only has to supply power - from terminal 3 in your case - to the boiler's gas valve and the pump. I would expect to find a cylinder stat between terminal 3 and the boiler/pump but you seem to have direct connections. Do you have a cylinder stat? :?: :?: :?:

In order to get heating as well, the controller drives the valve to a mid-position so that boiler water also flows to the radiators. The connection from terminal 4 to the valve will be doing this. Note that the demand for hot water is still running the boiler and pump.

Now for the puzzle, Since you can get heating and hot water at the same time, your boiler and pump must be working but why can't you get hot water on its own? :confused: :confused: :confused: Time for some testing. When you set the controller for hot water only, does the boiler light - and does the pump run? :?: :?: :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back