Potterton Profile 100e on/off constantly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton Boiler Model: Profile 100e

moved int to the "new" house two months ago. the boiler is probably near 10 yrs old

It turns itself on and off every few minutes constantly all day long even when CH&HW thermostat are OFF.

House gets too hot during night for comfort. So does the first gas bill in the "new" house!!!

The boiler sits in the garage. initially thought it's the froststat keeps activating. I disconnected it, the boiler still keeps switching on/off every few minutes (when neither CH or HW is calling for heat)

any advice is most appreciated. thank you

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a motorised valve issue. Are you able to test electrics?

thank you Mick
i can do basic test. what should i look out for?

First isolate the power to system.
Disconnect one of the grey valve wires and make it safe.
Reinstate power and check to see if problem persists, or not.

Sponsored Links
thanks Mick
it has indeed stopped the boiler constantly switch on and off. Thank you!

While i wait to get the valve fixed/replaced, if i set the valve at manual open and leave grey wire disconnected, would the CH & HW still function as normal?

I have room thermostat and programmer for CH & HW

the faulty valve is a two port "Boss Therm" model B2P28 (des 28mm zone valve 2 way with end switch system PSI 300 6.5 w) located next to the boiler in the garage.

there is another two port valve next to the hot water tank in the airing cupboard on the first floor

can't find any info about this specific model Boss Term valve, not sure the whole valve has to be replaced to just the head. any suggestions are most appreciated
thank you and happy new year!

sorry have never heard of a Boss term valve, the way the valve works is that it has a motor thet when powered it opens the valve to allow water to flow through, and when open it makes a micro switch which powers the boiler and pump, the problem you have is this micro switch is sticking when the valve is closed hence the boiler firing but the water has no where to go because the valve is actually closed nso the boiler just goes off again, you will have to connect the grey wire aagain for the heating to work untill you can arrange to have the valve replaced

thank you Ian
sorry my typo. the brand is Boss Therm not Boss Term
thought the problem was that a "firing" signal is somehow being sent to the boiler constantly and central heating is up all day and night (house gets too hot), so the valve must have been open all the time?

can't find any info about this specific model Boss Term valve, not sure the whole valve has to be replaced to just the head

Boss Therm is a PTS own brand. They should be able to advise what parts, if any, are available for the valve.

thanks you. its a 28mm shown in picture below; just also emailed PTS for advice

show us some pics of the pipe layout please.

The valve will more than likely be open due to synchron motor stuck hence why the heating is on 24/7.

The valve will more than likely be open due to synchron motor stuck hence why the heating is on 24/7.

If the synchron motor was stuck with the valve in the open position then your boiler would be on all the time not on and off every few mins as you have described, it is the end switch that has stuck not your synchron motor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back