Potterton Profile 80e keeps shutting down

It begs the question as to why the overheat stat hasn't activated...:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Surely it's the overheat stat that's shutting the boiler down? :unsure:

Is it air or is it pockets of water vapour created by the boiler actually boiling water in the heat exchanger before it senses over heating and shuts down ?

That's a good question Bernard, and I don't know for sure to be honest....

Although I think it's probably air, as the boiler gives a glug like its releasing a large bubble of air, which then gets broken up as it passes through the pump sounding like a stream of small bubbles...... If that makes sense?

Sponsored Links
if the boiler is starting to boil, it will probably make loud bonking noises. At the very least it will start to sing like a kettle.

I don't think it's boiling as the noise isn't that loud. It's more like a large amount of air releasing and it glugs up into the flow pipe. Difficult to explain via a keyboard....

I'm wondering if the automatic vent (which is situated on the return just before the boiler) is sucking air in and it's accumulating in the heat exchanger before letting go...

A quick update on my problem.

I ended up getting a plumber round and he agreed that there was air in the system and suggested draining down and refilling 'bottom up' from the draincock. I did this with a bottle of Sentinal X400 cleaner and left it for a week. Then I drained down, flushed a few times before filling from the draincock very slowly and added a bottle of X100 and a bottle of X200.

That was a week ago now and the system is a lot quieter, however it is still not 'right'. It runs for while and a gentle hissing sound develops and then it shuts down, glugs and stays off for a couple of minutes before starting over again. Stop, start, stop, start.... sigh...

X400 needs to be left in the system for 4 to 5 weeks to have maximum effect!

Tony

The instructions on the bottle are pretty vague.

It says to leave in for at least 2 hours or for best results overnight and then says it can be dosed up to 3 weeks prior to draining. So 2 hours, 24 hours, 3 weeks or 5 weeks?

It's confusing and I felt a week should do, too late now though it's flushed. The water came out fairly clean. Thanks for the advice Tony.

If you used X400, and didn't you get a lot of black sludge suspended in the water when you drained it, perhaps sludge was not the problem. When I've used it in old systems (I am a householder not a plumber) the water went black very quickly. You were running the heating as usual when the X400 was in?

I used to have an old Profile 100, and it bonked and sang before I cleaned it. I got a lot of black out, including on the Magnaclean for some time after the clean and drain.

Are you getting air or gas in the radiators? Is the F&E pumping over, or sucking? (put a half-full jar of water under the vent pipe, with the end submerged)

That's the problem. I can't bleed any air from the rads and I've done the glass of water under the vent pipe and the level didn't change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back