Potterton Promax 24 - HELP !!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice please?
About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that my Potterton Promax boiler was switching off after about an hour - rads going cold. The only way to fire back up was on the reset on the front of the boiler at which point it would re-fire and then follow the same pattern.
Over the space of a couple of weeks, the time before shutting off became noticeably shorter.
My home insurance emergency cover sent out Engineer 1 (an odd-job man) who diagnosed a that the thermostat in the hall needed changing. this was done - no change. He concluded that the boiler was not economically worth repairing !!!!!! (Around 8 years old)
Home Emergency team sent out Engineer 2 ( a builder who helps out his mates heating firm from time to time). he diagnosed main PCB. This was changed (however he also said that the Freezing stat was faulty as well as a possible pump ................?????!!!!)
Following PCB change - still no change!!!!!!!
Heating Engineer 3 (genuinely nicer bloke) believes it's a sensor on the main pipe out of the boiler...... He checked the resistance and believes it's that.......

I have had no HEAT or HOT WATER for 8 DAYS!!!!

It's -1 outside and feels like that in here and my insurance company states that I'm almost at the maximum claim limit.
So if engineer 3 fails ......... And it's now just over a week till Xmas and I have already been without H&W since then......

Any thoughts about the problem ????? (Other than engineers who can't identify it) :(

Sponsored Links
Dont see how the ins comp can say your at claims limit if they have only thrown bits at it that have nothing to do with repairing the fault!
As for the fault, does the boiler lock out - any flashing/solid lights?

Dont see how the ins comp can say your at claims limit if they have only thrown bits at it that have nothing to do with repairing the fault!
As for the fault, does the boiler lock out - any flashing/solid lights?

Thanks for the post - there are no lights on this promax - just a reset switch.
If 'lockout' means it won't fire back up - then yes it locks out!
pump runs - stats are calling for heat - but until boiler calls down, it won't re-fire

Sponsored Links
Do you not have an immersion heater on the cylinder to give you hot water in the event of boiler failure?

Unfortunately Potterton decided to save a quid and not put on a nice little display to help with disgnostics....and many faults can cause it to lockout.

These boilers are a junk design and suffer from several design faults.

Without proper regular maintenance and checks they can really suffer.

AFAIR there are two pcbs on this model. There's not much you can do yourself but it might be worth checking the condensate pipework from the boiler is clear to drain...if it backs up it will cause a lockout.

I would threaten the insurance with calling out HeatTeam (Pottertons repair service) and re-charge it to the insurance company....the risk is the fault is not on the boiler but the system and you will still be charged.

Why are the "engineers" not all Gas-Safe registered? They must be by law to look at the boiler.

Hi Milestone, Please can you advise whether this issue is now resolved and what was the problem. How was it fixed. I have the same type of boiler and not without heating for the past 2 weeks. Any help is much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back