Potterton Promax HE Plus / S Plan / Nest wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of fitting Nest for my mother-in-law and tidying up some very messy wiring at the same time. Standard S Plan layout with Potterton Promax HE Plus boiler.

Currently, the live supply to the wiring centre comes from the load side of the 3A FCU and then there are permanent live and switched live feeds to the boiler as expected. However, there is also a 230V output terminal at the boiler, which is not currently used, but which the manual states can be used to power an external control e.g. thermostat or programmer.

My question is - is is essential to use this 230V output from the boiler as the live feed to the wiring centre (and hence all of the other central heating controls), or is it ok as is i.e. where the live feed to the wiring centre comes from the load side of the 3A FCU? I could reconfigure this if necessary, but not sure if it is essential. The system has been working ok for years.

Hope this is clear and thanks for any expert assistance!

Cheers,
Graham

Sponsored Links
If it’s not broke don’t fix it. I’d say all is fine to leave if it’s been working for years.

Honeywell ST9120C. Replacing with Nest is a doddle, but was checking all the rest of the wiring at the same time, so wanted to make sure.

Sponsored Links
well if all was working before just leave it as it is, no need to take the external controls feed from the boiler terminals

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back