Potterton Promax SL 12 Fires up but cuts & locks out after a few minutes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a Potterton 12SL Promax condensing CH boiler, It would be great if someone could give me some advice to resolve this problem, I was having problems with the boiler where I was getting the Dry-Fire warning lights on the fault finding. I’ve recently changed out the flow switch as well, When I changed the flow switch out, There was a lot of black gunk attached to the magnet on the magnet swing gate inside the flow switch. I’ve been having further problems since changing the flow switch. It worked well for the first day but today it started locking out. After firing up & working for 5 minutes, The water coming into the boiler is noisy. It was cutting out & all three lights were out on the PCB housing & the reset switch wasn’t working. For me to fire it up, I had to turn off & turn on the fuse coving the boiler on the house main fuse panel. The boiler isn’t flicking the fuse. I need to turn it on & then of myself. It fires up each time after resetting the house fuse but cuts & locks out after a few minutes. I would appreciate any advice to resolve this problem. Thank you in advance. Richy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the swift reply. When you say a Jammed/faulty pump. Do you mean the one located upstairs in the cupboard with the hot water cylinder? I've checked that pump & the pipes either side of the pump are hot.

Thanks for the swift reply. When you say a Jammed/faulty pump. Do you mean the one located upstairs in the cupboard with the hot water cylinder? I've checked that pump & the pipes either side of the pump are hot.
yes but is it actually circulating ?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
For the short amount of time the boiler is running, A few radiators are getting Luke warm. The circulation doesn’t seem to be as efficient as it has in the past, Yesterday I stripped out & cleaned the pump. It was running.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Check the storage cistern in the loft for water and you may want to check the cold feed to the rads.

The F & E cistern in the loft is good & has ample water. The cold feed to the radiators is good. I've cleaned & flushed the system out with Sentinel X800 & refilled & bleed the system. No change. It's still cutting out after 3 minutes & all three lights were out on the PCB housing & the reset switch wasn’t working. For me to fire it up, I had to turn off & turn on the fuse coving the boiler on the house main fuse panel. The boiler isn’t flicking the fuse. I need to turn it on & then of myself. It fires up each time after resetting the house fuse but cuts & locks out after a few minutes.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back