Potterton Promax SL Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all this is my 1st post
We have moved into a property, which has a Potterton Promax SL (not sure of the model number) it is a gravity (cold water tanks in the loft) condensing boiler)
it was installed for the previous owners in 2015. We had all the radiators replaced in the summer, and are now using the heating.

(Attached)

However when calling for heat, the boiler will spin the fans, light with a bit of a cracking? Clunking noise and then switch off after 10 min and will stay switched off for another 10 min (sometimes a lot longer) as a result the radiators do not get warmed up properly.

If you press the reset switch on the front, sometimes it will fire up, most of the time it does nothing.

It's totaly random when it does it, and everytime I call the plumber to come out and look at it - it works perfectly fine!

It is totally doing my head in., sometimes it works better if you have it set to heat only, and not Heat & Water, but its just so random that its impossible to predict when it does it.

Otherdays it will work as it should - but most of the time it keeps switching off randomly, on and off every 10 minutes.

As anyone else had a problem with these boilers.

Thank you in Advance

Attachments

• IMG_20181228_154707.jpg
    IMG_20181228_154707.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 1,862
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
When was it last serviced ? it sounds like you may have a partially blocked condensate

Hi thank you for your reply.

In all honesty I don't know when it was. The previous owners had a maintenance plan with BG so I can only assume regularly. We bought the house this year. So it won't have been serviced this year.

Kind Regards

Sponsored Links
Hi all thank you

So the plumber comes round to take a look, it works absolutely fine! and does so for the next 3 days or so. and now its back to the same problem.
I hate this boiler apart from the fact it plays up like this, there is no controls or anything just one reset button that does not do anything!

It was installed by BG do you think that they will have a better understanding of these boilers (know for certain what the problem is, when they behave like this) or will they just simply write it off to flog a new one

when you say circulation problem do you mean to much, or to little or is it impossible to tell.

kind Regards

Last edited:
You assume this is the boiler at fault, maybe erroneously so.
You state the system is a gravity one. I doubt that, more probably open vented, but fully pumped.

See post number 4 above.
More like a circulation problem.

I would suggest your plumber checks that the circulating pump is in good order, and changes it if there is any doubt. In fact I would go as far as to suggest you buy a new pump so that the plumber can fit it without delay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back