Potterton Puma 80 boiler cut out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the heating is switched on and I run the hot water the bolier cuts out when the hot tap is turned off. The boiler doesn't cut out if i use the hot water if the heating is not on.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do a search on "puma flow switch". It's sticking on.

Hi

I replaced this last year and had it apart this weekend, descaled lubricated and replaced. I thought if it was sticking it would do so whether the heating was on or off.

Thanks

Easy to check - the red light on the pcb stays on when the tap goes off.

Sponsored Links
So the red light stays on when the tap is off if the flow valve is sticking?

Thanks

The red light doesnt stay on when the water is turned off. After about 40 seconds ther is a small @dink' sound and the boiler turns of, pilot goes out. As i said before, thid only happens if the heating is on at the same time, not when the heating is off.

Joffe, where do you live? Can you add your location to your profile so it shows up.

When was the boiler last serviced?

Does the CH work as expected?

Have you measured the resistance of the two sensors with the boiler completely cold?

Tony

I am in Biggin Hill, Kent.

The boiler was serviced last year when I had a new pressure vessel fitted.

Yes, CH heating seems to work OK.

Not sure what you mean by the 2 sensors?

Thanks

joffa

Replacing the EXV on a Puma normally needs the boiler to be taken off the wall! In most cases its not even necessary as the problem is mostly a blocked communication pipe.

To repair boilers a certain degree of technical knowledge is required.

The sensors control the temperature inside the boiler. They are NTC resistors and a resistance measurement with the boiler cold would indicate if one is faulty.

You may need to call a competent boiler engineer!

I was asking where you live because some areas have hard water although that is not normally a problem with the puma but it has to be taken into account as a posibility.

Much of Kent is on chalk although we dont see many hard water problems from there so the water may be sourced from non chalk areas.

Tony

The guy fitted an external pressure vessel, as this was the cheaper option and I was thinking of getting a new boiler anyway. I was hoping for a qhick fix in this instance, this may not be the case though.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back