potterton puma 80 boiler issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
Not sure if it is related but about a month ago the pilot light kept going out when the central heating turned off.after a few days this prob went away.

Now a few days ago there is a loud whirring sound whenever it is firing.sometimes it is very loud. Last night the pressure dropped and I had to top it up this morning. When I turn off the thermostat and it stops firing for a few seconds the whirring slows and almost turns to a scraping before stopping.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Fan?
If it's a P (permanent Pilot) version the fan should run slowly if the boiler's off. If it stops, the boiler could well overheat and cut out.

many thanks for the reply

do you know how i tell if it is a P version?

assuming it is the fan is it an easy or hard thing to replace? could i do it myself? i am reasonably handy but have no real plumbing experiance.

Well you said
the pilot light kept going out
If you mean it has a permanent flame in it, that's the pilot! The other type has electronic ignition.
No, I wouldn't recommend you try changing the fan yourself. There are several things which you could do wrong without realising.

Sponsored Links
well the loud whining seemed to have been dying down.....however this morning the bloiler would not fire at all despite the pilot light being on and the pressure seeming ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back