Potterton Puma 80 combi boiler flue problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have potterton puma 80 combi boiler and it seems to have deleveoped a problem in the last week. The boiler is operating fine for both hot water and central heating, however when the boiler shuts down then fan continues to operate and the only way I can get it to stop is to switch the power of at the mains switch.

I spoke to a friend and he thinks its probably due to a relay switch sticking on the main board, is this likely to be the cause and can I replace the individual part or does it mean I need to get a new PCB unit

Many thanks

Neil

Sponsored Links
As far as I know its just a puma 80 there is no p or e on the boiler or literature that came with it.

Sponsored Links
I've put a couple of pictures in an album but they obviously didn't come out on this thread!! how do i add them??

Neil

I don't think it runs permenantly, or is it just that its started to make more noise??

To the best of my knowledge the fan has never run permenantly.

What normally happens when the boiler fires up is the fan comes on and then continues to run for a short period after the boiler shuts down and then switches off completely. However the fan is now on continuesly unless i switch of the main power.

Hope this clarifies the problem

Neil

Not really. Is it continually on at full speed?

It will in all likelihood be a PCB problem. Puma's were a joke in that respect.

You sure you're not getting confused with the pump.....that will run for 5 minutes or so after a demand.

The fan runs at slow speed all the time, only switching to high speed with a demand. However, once the fan bearings start to wear you will start to hear the fan running all the time at slow speed.

ok I think it must be the fan as I've run the boiler and checked and the pump definately shuts down.

I didn't know the fan was permenantly running so its probably the bearings as it is a sort of metallic whine that I can hear and it seems to get loader if the boilers cold which makes me think that if the boilers been runnung for a while the heat is making the bearing expand and run quietly and the noise increases as the bearing cools. Does that make sense to anyone??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back