Potterton Puma 80 delay before CH starts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently had some problems with this combi and have changed the CH pump. It operates fine and I can hear the water going through. The system was completely emptied and refilled.

I have noticed that whenever it has been emtied it takes ages beore the hot water starts to circulate even though the pump runs from switch on. This is when it is simply switched to constant. In the past it has taken hours before it starts.

I have noticed that the burner comes on as expected and then after a few minutes stops (presumably because the internal tank has reached temperature).

My first question is, how long should it take for the hot water to start circulating after it has been switched on at the mains and set to constant?

Would I be correct in thinking that if the diverter was stuck it may not allow hot water to enter the CH system? How can I test the diverter? I am assuming it is the thing behind the control panel box with two wires connected to it and about four or five pipes. One of these pipes (a silver one that comes from higher up in the boiler) is actually hot which presumably should be being diverted to the CH system.

In all cases the hot water works fine. If I remove one wire from the diverter solenoid the hot water still works. Is this correct or a sign that the diverter is stuck?

Regards FarmerJohn

Sponsored Links
it'll prob be ya wax capsule, 20min job to fit ;)

ya removed a wire from the diverter valve? are ya sure its the diverter?

the wax capsule is part of the diverter valve, it is fitted to the right hand side of the boiler nxt to the pump.. if ya drop the pcbs down u'll see a low water presure switch (with orange wires) it is just at the side of that

Sponsored Links
there is no solenoid on this diverter valve.. i take it you mean the boiler comes on then goes off and then comes on again to supply central heating. or do you mean there no hot water. if its the heating a 5 minute delay is normal for the light extinguish relight sequence.. anything else proby is the diverter. however i would be tempted to replace the whole valve as personally ive never had much luck replacing just the capsule

piece of **** mate... 1/2 work if you get a good airlock. just remember to peel back the chassis at the back. :D

Thanks.

The thing with the orange wires behind the control panel is what I thought was a solenoid that operated the diverter position. So this is the low water pressure switch.

Apart from the delay described previously my real problem is that having replaced the pump I am still having problems getting the radiators to warm up in a timely manor. I have bled them all. If I switch on one radiator it takes about 20 minutes to get hot and then the return water pipe back at the boilder is barely warm, yet the outgoing it quite hot. If I switch on other radiators the system seems to reach a point where there is not enough capacity in the boiler to keep a couple of radiators hot.

I have noticed that although the CH pump runs all the time the boiler is hardly on.

Could the diverter valve be the cause of these problems?

What causes the diverter to change position if it is not by solenoid?

The hot water works fine.

Regards FarmerJohn

thts the tricky bit, i norm try n cut it! :LOL: ive jus about always got um workin by orderin the entire valve but jus fit the wax capsule and the end bit ;)

the wax capsule swells and contracts (depending if ya hw tap is opened or not) and shuts the central heating port off to warm the primary circuit in order to heat ya hot water

thts the tricky bit, i norm try n cut it! :LOL: ive jus about always got um workin by orderin the entire valve but jus fit the wax capsule and the end bit ;)

just use your grips to peel it down. it only takes about a minute and is way easier and safer than buggering about with a hacksaw, especially if clearance isnt too great.

What is the thing to the right of the low water pressure valve that has got two yellow wires going to it?

thermistor? cant recall to be honest..been a few months since ive seen the inside of one of these. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back