Potterton puma 80 playing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after some advice. My Potterton puma 80 has this afternoon decided to play up. We just got back from Hols yesterday and the pilot light had gone out, so I relit it as per instructions and all appeared aok. This afternoon the boiler started making strange noises and then the safety valve let go and a jet of steam was sent out the back of the house. I turned it all off (elec and gas) and left for 30 mins then relit pilot and put back on. Now the central heating comes on constantly (even though its turned off) and it keeps either overheating and cutting out or pressure building up and the safety valve blowing. Have now turned it all off again.
Does any one have any idea what the problem might be and can it be rectified by me or do I need to get someone in?

Sponsored Links
hot water flow switch or micro switch may be stuck.allowing boiler to fire up send over heated water through rads,then cut off piolt.safety cut off is working.
pumas are a problem boiler.puma with pilot even worse.
really consider getting potterton to visit its a fixed fee [sounds costly]but the last puma pilot boiler i repaired needed,pilot assy,overheat stat.auto air vent.pcb,h/w flow switch and diverter valve.a costly job for a naff boiler.

good luck

I would not be so pessimistic!

Probably its only the DHW switch stuck as explained above. These can usually be sorted out by dismantling and cleaning. Much cheaper to get your local boiler engineer rather than Potty but only IF he is comfortable with Pumas.

Make sure you have kept the water pressure topped up to about 1.5 bar. Gauge under boiler on the right of course.

Tony Glazier

Many thanks for the advice, will give local guy a call to investigate in first instance. The water pressure is at 2 bar, needle sitting right on indicator.
Is that to high?

Cheers,

Phil.

Sponsored Links
2 bar is a bit high but not a problem.

We have told you what the problem is! Check that anyone you call can identify the problem on the telephone before you let him come. If he understands the boiler then he will be able to diagnose the fault as we have done.

Tony Glazier

Many thanks, have called someone and they have diagnosed problem over phone and are coming tomorrow.

Cheers,

Phil.

Expect him to change the pressure relief valve as well. Once they've let water through they tend to not shut propoerly due to dirt on the seat.

Some people clean them which is frowned upon by others. Similar situation with the sticking flow switch - those are about £50 new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back