Potterton Puma 80 Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Complete novice here, so bear with me.

Im having problems with my boiler. It seems to run ok, but have noticed that when its been on for an hour or so, and i run a hot water tap (usually the kitchen sink tap), about 5 minutes later i get like a kettle boiling whoosh sort of sound, followed by banging of pipes, and eventually the pilot light blows out.

Ive had some plumbers round, and initially poor circulation was suspected to be the problem, mainly as all the rads were turned off still from the summer.

It was fine for a couple of weeks, but then it started happening again. Plumbers back out, and this time new PCB fitted, and a valve (not sure what it was called) on the bathroom rad to allow better flow.

Again, ok for a couple of weeks, but now back with a vengeance.

Ive also noticed a couple of times that the rads have got very very hot. Ive turned the thermostat right down, but the boiler still fired up. It got to the point where i had to shut the whole thing down for fear of it blowing up.

The plumbers are now saying they suspect scale in the heat exchanger, and that means a new boiler. Ive been quoted £1725 +vat to have a new one fitted.

Like i said, i have no idea if their recomendation is about right, or wether thats a reasonable price.

Im gonna get a 2nd opinion i think, but any advice from you guys would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ok, Potterton wont come out, as my boiler is 8 years old.

I want a second opinion on this. Ive seen lots of threads on here which sound similar to the problems im having, but none suggesting a replacement boiler.

Can anyone recommend somone who covers the Hanworth/Twickenham in Middlesex area and who knows their stuff ?

Sounds like a sticking hot water flow switch to me. Approx £30-£50 for a replcement part.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the responses guys.

I got Pimlico Plumbers coming out next week. I'll put forward your suggestions, and see what they have to say.

Cheers

I thought there were a bunch of Lawyers playing at being a plumber?? you'd be better of getting a local plumber one who comes recommended and with NO hidden agenda to flush out your system and replace the boiler
The diverter valve will take about an hour to replace and cost about £150 parts and labour depending on were the boilers located.

erm, well no one came up with any idea's on plumbers in my area, and someone at work recommended Pimlico to me.

Is there something i need to know about them then ?

Now this is embarassing!

For legal reasons, all I can really say is that Pimlico Plumbers will be charging you about £55 plus vat per half hour. That is about £129 per hour!

A couple of times they have told the client that they dont know what the problem is and given them my number!

All I can say is buyer beware!

Tony Glazier

SOunds like you are, or were, a prime candidate for being ripped off. If you put your email address is your profile it won't get you loads of spam but you can invite anyone covering your area to contact you.

Dial, put your email in your profile , not here. Or look tony's email up in his profile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back